"It's your first Harley, isn't it?" - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
"It's your first Harley, isn't it?"

After 54 years of riding mostly Japanese motorcycles, I picked up my XG500 today. The finance officer tried (really hard!) to get me to buy the extended warranty. When I declined, she said, "Oh, it's your first Harley, isn't it?" What exactly am I supposed to infer from that? Not confidence inspiring. Ah, it's a new adventure-- had to try at least one, didn't I? The 24% off made me do it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum. So much information to point you in the right direction when considering a modification or two within these threads.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #3 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just a sales trick. The street is a Harley, however the only thing it shares in common with the Harley we know is a name. Good extended warranties are great for those that rack up the miles. You can added it anytime up until the factory warranty runs out you have time to think about it. All extended warranties are a personal flip of the coin weather it is right for you or not.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase. It's a classic scare tactic in car/bike sales , with the whole extended warranty business. FWIW, I've had my 750 a year and no problems. Time of course will tell.

While the XG does not have the typical proven air cooled evolution engine, it isn't exactly a brand new design. It is a derivative of the VROD, although a simplified one with SOHC. The interesting thing is that Porsche helped design the VROD engine, so in a way the XG series has Harley and Porsche heritage. That's peace of mind IMO.
madmike likes this.

2016 Street 750
post #5 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
gotta think perspective: they made NO money on the sale of the bike, so they are trying to nickel & dime you to death with the Ext Warranty.

most modern vehicles do pretty good.
and the truth is, if you are on a bike forum, you can usually get any parts you need fairly cheap.

if you got it cheap,just ride it like you stole it!!
post #6 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
When I declined, she said, "Oh, it's your first Harley, isn't it?" What exactly am I supposed to infer from that?
Over the decades, Harleys have not always been known for having the best reliability. Being able to fix your bike on the side of the road was a badge of honor among the Harley brethren. Carrying a "tool bag" is a fairly common practice among the older riders who rode the big air-cooled twins. But Harley is evolving and has evolved. The V-Rod introduced a fully water-cooled engine, and the Milwaukee-Eight is "twin cooled". The Street uses a water-cooled engine which should theoretically be very reliable. But there's more to a bike than the engine, obviously; regardless, Harley's reputation for reliability seems to be greatly improved over the last several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ctd View Post
gotta think perspective: they made NO money on the sale of the bike, so they are trying to nickel & dime you to death with the Ext Warranty.
I used to sell Apple computers many years ago, and the biggest push we as salesmen would make would be for the extended warranty -- AppleCare. Why? Because fully 50% of the cost went to the store as profit. And half that went to the salesman as commission. So if you buy a $1,000 warranty, the salesman would pocket $250 and the store would pocket $250. We made more off selling the warranty than we did off the $4,000 - $5,000 computer sale.

Since then, no, I generally don't buy extended warranties. Except I have my eye on a new BMW motorcycle, and the repair costs are so extravagant on those, and it's a first-year model, so I may buy a warranty on that, depending on the price.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
The finance officer tried (really hard!) to get me to buy the extended warranty.
As others have pointed out, financing and extended warranties are big money makers vehicle dealers. I once heard that that GM made more from the OnStar subscription than they did on selling the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
The 24% off made me do it...
Exactly! 20% off was what got me to buy mine.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #8 of 14 Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
nope turned down the extended warranty cause it was only good where i bought he bike i want it if i break down somewhere in bfe 2000 miles away

madmike norfolk va 2015 street 500, 2009 yamaha vino
post #9 of 14 Old 06-15-2017, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
nope turned down the extended warranty cause it was only good where i bought he bike i want it if i break down somewhere in bfe 2000 miles away
That's not true. You can take your bike to ANY Harley Dealer or any Harley authorized service center. There are a lot of indy's out there that can do the warranty work for you.
smitty901 likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
That may depend on the particular warranty offered. If it's from Harley, it should certainly be good at any Harley dealer in the country, but if it was some private in-house type of thing then maybe it was good only at that particular dealer?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page