Harley Street 500/750 v Kawasaki Vulcan S ! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By StoneFree
  • 1 Post By Yusef
  • 1 Post By StoneFree

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-04-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Harley Street 500/750 v Kawasaki Vulcan S !

Kawasaki recently launched its new liquid cooled economy cruiser- Vulcan S. But reviews seem good. What you guys feel about this new steed?

Take a Peep:-

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - EICMA 2014 Live

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet View Post
Kawasaki recently launched its new liquid cooled economy cruiser- Vulcan S. But reviews seem good. What you guys feel about this new steed?

Take a Peep:-

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - EICMA 2014 Live
While the price is about the same at about $7,000 and with a 650cc engine it falls between the Street 500 and Street 750. With that said I would cite two factors of importance at least for me.

First of all it's an inline twin so if a person likes the narrower V-Twin design they'd choose the Harley Street 500 or Street 750. Nothing against inline twins but V-twins are a narrower engine design that provides a distinctively different motorcycle style.

Second is that it's not a Harley. Not saying anything against Kawasaki (I used to own a Z1 in the 1970's) but "not a Harley" applies to, well any motorcycle that isn't a Harley.

Here's another preliminary review.

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S | FIRST LOOK

Personally I never discourage a person from purchasing any motorcycle they believe best fits their riding needs and desires.
Puneet likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-04-2014, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

It looks like a good bike but I think that the Harley brand is something to fear for Kawasaki in this segment. Kawasaki trumps Harley on sportsbike, but when it comes to a more cruiser/hd street style bike Harley definitely has the upper hand.
StoneFree likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-04-2014, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Kawi has some potential here and it will be interesting to see what this could do when it hits the market although HD is what dominates it.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelin View Post
Kawi has some potential here and it will be interesting to see what this could do when it hits the market although HD is what dominates it.
I'm seeing a shift in new motorcycles to more street type motorcycles with adequate displacement for virtually all needs (i.e. between about 500cc and 1000cc) that are more reasonably priced. Displacement and size (weight) inflation of motorcycles has pretty much run it's course where motorcycles were costing more than most cars.

Yes, for some a large cruiser (recreational vehicle) motorcycle like a Road King fit the bill where the owner traveled with their spouse to far off events and rides and for some the "cafe racer" that was impractical for even long day rides was what they needed but those are both minority groups. Most of us ride alone over 90% of the time and few of us even take long road trips on a regular basis. We needed something that fit our riding needs and it wasn't the cafe racer or the or the large recreation vehicle cruiser. We needed a good displacement motorcycle for daily riding typically alone but that would carry a passenger as needded.

That's what these affordable 500cc to 1000cc motorcycles are offering today and they're long over due IMO. It's not that these didn't exist before but there weren't a lot of choices when it came to this category of motorcycle.
Propnut likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

Last edited by StoneFree; 11-05-2014 at 09:25 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
That's what i have been seeing more and more of, these lower range cruisers. At least for Kawi this is a great way for them to tap into that growing segment in current markets that call for it and markets where this type of bike isn't as common but has the growing demand.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
At first glance, my thoughts were that it was a poor copy of a VRod with the upper visible frame tubes and the sloped headlamp.
Chain drive? Chains are for dirt bikes, I wouldn't own a chain drive street bike. IMO (yes, I know sport bikes use chains)
The frame tubes wrapped around the engine look like an afterthought, like the frame was too weak, and how do we fix it? The gas tank looks out of place, like they pulled one of the shelf that didn't fit and just stuck it on there anyway.
The Yamaha Bolt has afterthought frame downtubes that are bent forward to miss the front exhaust pipe. Looks half-azzed to me.

Overall, the Kawi could be a nice looking bike if they got rid of the tubes around the middle of the engine and fit the gas tank closer/around the upper frame tubes, the rest looks pretty good.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2016, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Xg900

As a long time fan of the Kawi Z1900 and current owner of a XG750 Street, I'd like to see HD come out with an XG900S.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page