Street 500/750 Bobbers & Choppers - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Street 500/750 Bobbers & Choppers

As some of you might have read on my "Stone Free II Project" thread I'm an old school bobber and chopper man from the 1960's and I'm building a tribute Street 750 bobber in honor of my older brother that passed away last year. Both the Street 500 and Street 750 are virtually a perfect fit for the "old school" bobber/chopper style of the 1960's when virtually any motorcycle from 250cc and up was often turned into a bobber or chopper.

Yes, all of the "old school" bobbers and choppers of the 60's were air cooled engines but there was a simple reason for that. There were no good water-cooled motorcycles in that era.

For those that don't know the difference between a bobber and a chopper the primary difference is that the bobber basically retains factory geometry while choppers increase the rake/trail of the front wheel for extended forks. In the 60's the choppers generally had 8"-12" extended springer or girder front forks. Both were stripped down motorcycles often with engine performance upgrades.

Anyway, since I have to create a new frame for my Stone Free II project, and having a background in tooling, I've partnered with a friend to produce after-market bobber and chopper frames for daring individuals that just can't "leave well enough alone" and want to make statement riding. We're also partnering with a motorcycle radiator company to have a "custom" radiator designed for the project (the stock rectangular radiator didn't "work" for me). We'll also product the wiring harness that will be required to run through the frame because that is always a pain in the rear for anyone not used to making up motorcycle wiring harnesses.

No one else to our knowledge has gone off on this tangent but the new Street 500 and Street 750 bobbers and choppers will offer a low cost alternative to the current custom bobbers and chopper. Our goal is to be able to provide the platform for a chopper or bobber that, taking a stock motorcycle and using many of the parts from that bike, can be be built for about the cost of a new Sportster (basically about $13,000 or so). Of course a person can spend more but to have a unique Harley-Davidson bobber or chopper for about 1/2 the cost of even the lowest priced larger choppers and bobbers is really cool IMHO.

The company (Stone Free Manufacturing) is only two weeks old and we haven't even started actual prototyping yet (held for a new Street 750 and Street 500 for our prototype bikes) so bear with me. Of course as I work on building both my "Stone Free II" tribute 750cc bobber and another 500cc chopper prototypes I'll share pictures and information.

I'll also offer as much advice for anyone that's interested in doing this on their own including those that want to build their own frames. We just think that having an after-market frame will make it easier for someone to build a really cool 500cc or 750cc Harley bobber/chopper because of the work involved in producing a frame. Creating the frame is at least 50% of the work in building a custom bike while just assembly is much easier.

It is all very exciting to say the least. I sort of feel like Star Trek where we're "going where no man has gone before." LOL The truth is my partner and I have built so many show motorcycles and have so much background that this is just the next evolution of our creative skills. It's going to be way too much fun.

StoneFree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 05-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Missed this the first time. Looking forward to your build
post #3 of 47 Old 05-17-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
Missed this the first time. Looking forward to your build
I'm dying to get my hands on the Street 750 for my Stone Free II Project. That not yet being available I'm working on the matching old school Bell helmet based upon a helmet my brother had in 1970 (that was the inspiration for the name of the build project). Other than that all I've been able to do is locate after market parts like the headlight, speedo/tach, girder front forks, etc. for the build once I have the motorcycle.

I just created a FaceBook page to address this tribute build project where I will be posting about the "Inspiration" behind it and when the build starts I'll be updating it whenever a milestone is reached even if its just a little milestone.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stone...88241841201051

In addition to building a custom Street 750 rigid frame chopper I've also become interested in building a personal Street 750 trike in the future. That's probably a year off but it will also be a lot of fun.
Sherri likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

post #4 of 47 Old 05-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
I'm dying to get my hands on the Street 750 for my Stone Free II Project. That not yet being available I'm working on the matching old school Bell helmet based upon a helmet my brother had in 1970 (that was the inspiration for the name of the build project). Other than that all I've been able to do is locate after market parts like the headlight, speedo/tach, girder front forks, etc. for the build once I have the motorcycle.

I just created a FaceBook page to address this tribute build project where I will be posting about the "Inspiration" behind it and when the build starts I'll be updating it whenever a milestone is reached even if its just a little milestone.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stone...88241841201051

In addition to building a custom Street 750 rigid frame chopper I've also become interested in building a personal Street 750 trike in the future. That's probably a year off but it will also be a lot of fun.
Cant wait to see that build go down!
post #5 of 47 Old 05-26-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhoonigan View Post
Cant wait to see that build go down!
I'd be counting down the days until I get my hands on the Street 750 if I actually knew the date my dealer will receive them. As it is I'm generally looking at about 3-4 more weeks based upon the general "mid-June" anticipated date.

I have "cash in hand" and the sale manager is a friend so I'll know within an hour of the time the truck unloads them and will probably have the purchase (paperwork) complete before mine is even out of the box. LOL

post #6 of 47 Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Looking forward to the build!

Just keep us in the loop as soon as you get the phone call please!

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
post #7 of 47 Old 05-26-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 225 Post(s)

Sherri and StoneFree like this.
post #8 of 47 Old 05-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
be sure to share some photos
post #9 of 47 Old 05-27-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
I'd be counting down the days until I get my hands on the Street 750 if I actually knew the date my dealer will receive them. As it is I'm generally looking at about 3-4 more weeks based upon the general "mid-June" anticipated date.

I have "cash in hand" and the sale manager is a friend so I'll know within an hour of the time the truck unloads them and will probably have the purchase (paperwork) complete before mine is even out of the box. LOL
Nice! It's all working out well for you, at least you have it better than some do, always good to know someone.
post #10 of 47 Old 05-31-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhoonigan View Post
Nice! It's all working out well for you, at least you have it better than some do, always good to know someone.
With only two exceptions I've been a 'cash' buyer my entire life. Of course that also meant that I've only had one new motorcycle (my 2007 XL50) and one new car (my 2012 Fiat 500) in my life as well. I've just never liked personal debt because I hate paying interest. Even with my XL50 it was only a $3,000 loan that I paid off in about 6 months and my Fiat is an interest free loan.

I'm also 65 and have been able to hide a few nickles and dimes in my mattress over the years.
Sherri and harsha r like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page