Forward control kit for the Street 750 - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to bmoothedan
(Thread Starter)
Forward control kit for the Street 750

I'm 6 feet tall and have particularly long legs . I've been on two long rides so far and I find the mid-mounted controls uncomfortable for long ride. Is there a forward control kit for the Street 750 and has anyone tried installing one yet?

I'm from Pune in India and got my Steet 750 on the 1st of August. For short rides I find the seating position quite okay but plan on getting a tall boy seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Same problem! Got the tall boy seat, reduced reach handlebars, raised the gear shift peg, bolted a wedge shaped doorstop to top of brake pedal to reduce reach, and the overall body position is much more relaxed.
bmoothedan likes this.
post #3 of 80 Old 08-22-2014, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to bmoothedan
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMustang View Post
Same problem! Got the tall boy seat, reduced reach handlebars, raised the gear shift peg, bolted a wedge shaped doorstop to top of brake pedal to reduce reach, and the overall body position is much more relaxed.
@MtnMustang - My first servicing is due in a week and I will probably get the dealer to add the tall boy seat, the reduced reach handles but I wasn't sure how to tell them what to do on the gear shift peg and the brake pedal. Do you have picture or two of the modified gear shift peg and the brake pedal? I'd greatly appreciate it if you could send me a photo or two. No worries if you don't have any too.

post #4 of 80 Old 08-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
x2, also in for seeing how that looks!
post #5 of 80 Old 08-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoothedan View Post
I'm 6 feet tall and have particularly long legs . I've been on two long rides so far and I find the mid-mounted controls uncomfortable for long ride. Is there a forward control kit for the Street 750 and has anyone tried installing one yet?

I'm from Pune in India and got my Steet 750 on the 1st of August. For short rides I find the seating position quite okay but plan on getting a tall boy seat.

My partner and I have already worked out the design for the Street 500/750 forward controls and will be prototyping them within the next month or so. Actually building them is competing with creating drag pipes on our schedule but it's on the short list of things to do soon.

Like you I also find the locations of the mid-controls to be a problem. Okay for short rides with breaks but forward controls would be much more comfortable on long rides.
snoopycat1950 and Louis louis like this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #6 of 80 Old 08-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Never heard of a "forward control kit." What exactly would such a kit contain?
post #7 of 80 Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
My partner and I have already worked out the design for the Street 500/750 forward controls and will be prototyping them within the next month or so. Actually building them is competing with creating drag pipes on our schedule but it's on the short list of things to do soon.

Like you I also find the locations of the mid-controls to be a problem. Okay for short rides with breaks but forward controls would be much more comfortable on long rides.
Awesome, can't wait to see that. I'll be patient, especially seeing that you guys also have other projects.
post #8 of 80 Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusef View Post
Never heard of a "forward control kit." What exactly would such a kit contain?
H-D has these kits for other bikes. You can get details on the H-D website (US site, anyway.)
post #9 of 80 Old 08-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCoach View Post
H-D has these kits for other bikes. You can get details on the H-D website (US site, anyway.)

Yes, H-D (and other companies) do for the Sportsters and other H-D cruisers but they don't for the V-Rod which is the basic style for the Street 500/750. I don't anticipate the H-D will provide forward controls for the Streets but, of course, I could be wrong. I've also talked with Paughco, the largest after market H-D manufacturer, and they didn't seem very likely to be addressing much for the Streets for about 3-4 years into the future. It didn't seem to be a motorcycle they were very interested in.

We should note that after market universal front pegs for 1 1/4" frames are readily available online and are an option instead of front controls. For open road riding they work fine but obviously not having the brake and shift controls does present a problem for general riding. You will have to notch the radiator grill housing but it's plastic so that's not a problem.

post #10 of 80 Old 08-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
For those interested in what's involved for front controls this is what we're looing at.

On the left side the shift linkage has to be kicked out about 1" for the linkage to clear the engine side casing. This is very easy to deal with.

On the right side the brake cylinder needs to be integral to the brake pedal assembly and then a longer replacement hydraulic brake line to the brake and new brake light wiring.

If it wasn't for the fact that the exhaust pipes block off a direct line to the existing brake cylinder we would have just designed a long pushrod for the rear brakes and not needed the longer hydraulic line and brake light wiring.

We are going to use a standard Sportster front control as the basic design in our development of the Street front controls so there won't be a lot of difference between the two.
AYEDEE likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page