LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-19-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Tank Lift

So here's what I've figured out to raise the tanks on these bikes. This has given me a 3" over the stock position. I'd be interested to hear if someone has any other ways or idea's of going about doing this.

https://youtu.be/7f2XnUzGGKE
StoneFree and Zowie Mcgrath like this.

Some days I like to go fast and other days I like to try stupid things on my bikes.

www.youtube.com/user/haulinonalo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking forward to see how it looks with the tank back on in the new position
post #3 of 19 Old 03-20-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcounty View Post
Looking forward to see how it looks with the tank back on in the new position
Waiting for the rear shocks before we start hacking the back off the bike, but this should give you an idea as to what it looks like.

Some days I like to go fast and other days I like to try stupid things on my bikes.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Looks great, Haulin. Are you planning on keeping the 15 out back? From my time with UJMs, I'm pretty good with subframe mods, wiring, and the cosmetics, but I'm clueless when it comes to changing hubs, I'm not sure what needs to be taken into account, from the hub size to the brake disc and rear sprockets, etc. If you change it up, I look forward to doing some learning!

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
post #5 of 19 Old 03-20-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I will be getting rid of the rims eventually. The thing with these bikes is the crush drive (compensator) on the rear hub ... it makes life a little more challenging, to say the least. If someone came out with a 16" rim for the rear that works with the stock belt drive (StoneFree?) I would buy it up, but for right now the easiest way to get around that is getting rid of the belt all together and going with a chain. 1WheelRevolution is working on a chain drive that will work with the stock rims and I'm hoping to get the front sprocket off of them and then going with some rims off of a Sporty, put a chain sprocket on it and space the wheel accordingly.

I'm playing the waiting game right now though, see who can get me the parts first, before I go ahead with the mod.
StoneFree likes this.

post #6 of 19 Old 03-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin on a Lo View Post
I will be getting rid of the rims eventually. The thing with these bikes is the crush drive (compensator) on the rear hub ... it makes life a little more challenging, to say the least. If someone came out with a 16" rim for the rear that works with the stock belt drive (StoneFree?) I would buy it up, but for right now the easiest way to get around that is getting rid of the belt all together and going with a chain. 1WheelRevolution is working on a chain drive that will work with the stock rims and I'm hoping to get the front sprocket off of them and then going with some rims off of a Sporty, put a chain sprocket on it and space the wheel accordingly.

I'm playing the waiting game right now though, see who can get me the parts first, before I go ahead with the mod.
Already on it. It's been in work for over a month at my wheel supplier. I just sent a text to check on the status of the cush drive hubs for the Street so that 16" custom wheels can be used. We're also locating low profile 16" tires that won't change the outside tire circumference so the "final transmission-tire drive ratio" doesn't change and the stock speedo can be used.

I'll report back as soon as I get an update.

There are several manufacturers that offer chain drive conversions but the only problem is that chain drives really suck when compared to belt drives for motorcycles used on the streets. They're good for dirt bikes that can break a chain or belt in the middle of nowhere. A chain can be repaired with a master link but a broken belt basically can't be fixed. Except for the "emergency repair" capability of a chain overall a chain drive system sucks when compared to a belt.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

Last edited by StoneFree; 03-20-2015 at 03:50 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-20-2015, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Love it, totally changes that flat profile
post #8 of 19 Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin on a Lo View Post
If someone came out with a 16" rim for the rear that works with the stock belt drive (StoneFree?)
Got a reply to my inquiry about the status of the cush drive for the Street... sort of. It's in work with "high priority" but they've been slammed with orders because of Daytona Bike Week as well as another major event that were at. They didn't give me a date which is what I really wanted. I'll keep the pressure on because it's important to me as well as many others that are interested in changing out the stock rear wheel.
Haulin on a Lo likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-21-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Got a reply to my inquiry about the status of the cush drive for the Street... sort of. It's in work with "high priority" but they've been slammed with orders because of Daytona Bike Week as well as another major event that were at. They didn't give me a date which is what I really wanted. I'll keep the pressure on because it's important to me as well as many others that are interested in changing out the stock rear wheel.
Well that's good news! I imagine us Street owners are probably down at the bottom of the list for a lot of these companies. I don't think I'll really need a chain until I start my engine mods and start going for speed.

That stock rear pully if I remember correctly is a 80 or 82 tooth stock, one day in the future if someone's bored and want's to knock a dozen teeth off of there ... there might be a market for those wanting to change up the gearing. Even going bigger with more teeth, the stunting crowd on the Streets would be interested as well. Thanks for the update StoneFree, I'm hold off on pulling the trigger until I hear back from you.

post #10 of 19 Old 03-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Like for info and good video,,
thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page