Saddle Bags lets see your setups! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List
MGG

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 Old 03-23-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Saddle Bags lets see your setups!

Ok here is the deal I'm trying to make a baby old school bagger. I'm not looking to break the bank but would like a set of throw over leathers saddle bags that will fit the street and not hit the shock or a set that has a harder inside panel that I can screw in with the mounting gear that comes with the rear rack. I'm not spending 390+ dollars to get a set of very ugly bags to get a wire hangers worth of metal for no reason. And with the rear rack on the bike it keeps the bags off the paint no questions asked. So what do you use? What works on the bike for you? What or how do you suggest to mod for other bags? Thank you all for your time and if anyone else has bag questions feel free to ask hopefully we can all make our bikes better together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 03-23-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Would also love the know if anyone has found a swing arm bag that works as well? Thank you again.
10-64 likes this.
post #3 of 100 Old 03-23-2015, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
Cool

Hey Navyvet, have you looked at the active topics under the thread "mods done to street 500"? lots of posts there.
VP-56 and VT-10.

post #4 of 100 Old 03-23-2015, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
No saddle bags here, I just didn't think I would ever carry that much gear. I do have a bag bungeed to the luggage rack as you can see, and can also strap another bag on top of that one if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Profile2.JPG (10.7 KB, 972 views)
post #5 of 100 Old 03-23-2015, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Wrong size image attached, here's a better one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Profile.JPG (277.0 KB, 600 views)
arkarcher54 and Dave Novotny like this.
post #6 of 100 Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo750owner View Post
Hey Navyvet, have you looked at the active topics under the thread "mods done to street 500"? lots of posts there.
VP-56 and VT-10.
Thank you for the heads up thought it would be under here.
post #7 of 100 Old 03-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
No saddle bags here, I just didn't think I would ever carry that much gear. I do have a bag bungeed to the luggage rack as you can see, and can also strap another bag on top of that one if needed.
I'm one of the "Travel light and carry a big credit card" riders and have typically used about a one cubic-foot backpack for my touring needs. It always held enough for a week or so on the road that is my typical road trip.....

But I'm planning a road trip to Arizona in late May that's now going to be over 4,000 miles and running into perhaps 3-weeks. I've upgraded for this trip. I ride my Sportster for road trips and I've recently purchased a much larger leather "sissy-bar" bag that has about 3-times the storage capacity of my little leather backpack.

I'm going to prepack it soon and I'm planning on creating a thread to address what to take on a long road trip. I'm still packing "light" but with a lot more than I take on a week-long road trip.

BTW My much larger leather sissy bar bag only cost $50 and I agree with the idea of not wasting money just to provide storage on your motorcycle.
Solo750owner and AYEDEE like this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #8 of 100 Old 03-24-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyvet View Post
Ok here is the deal I'm trying to make a baby old school bagger. I'm not looking to break the bank but would like a set of throw over leathers saddle bags that will fit the street and not hit the shock or a set that has a harder inside panel that I can screw in with the mounting gear that comes with the rear rack. I'm not spending 390+ dollars to get a set of very ugly bags to get a wire hangers worth of metal for no reason. And with the rear rack on the bike it keeps the bags off the paint no questions asked. So what do you use? What works on the bike for you? What or how do you suggest to mod for other bags? Thank you all for your time and if anyone else has bag questions feel free to ask hopefully we can all make our bikes better together.
I have a pair of leather saddle bags that were given to me for my Sportster that I'd give to you if you'll pay shipping. They can use a little mink oil or other leather treatment because they've dried out due to non-use but could easily be revitalized. With a little effort I'm sure they could be adapted for the Street although they're not designed for it. I would guess that shipping would be less than $20 but don't know for sure. Let me know by PM if you're interested. I'd like to get rid of them because I never used them and they're just lying around doing nothing.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #9 of 100 Old 06-20-2015, 08:29 AM
MGG

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
On one of the saddlebag posts I said I would post some pictures. I finally took some pictures and can show my several set ups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0388.JPG (328.3 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0392.JPG (344.5 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0396.JPG (393.4 KB, 641 views)
post #10 of 100 Old 06-20-2015, 08:54 AM
MGG

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Here are some more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0399.JPG (406.9 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0400.JPG (347.9 KB, 478 views)
Kojie, surdus and Dave Novotny like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page