HD Street 750 vs Ducati Scrambler - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HD Street 750 vs Ducati Scrambler

Ducati Scrambler Forum

I'm going to start with a preface, most of this is my opinion and frankly I don't care if you disagree

Ok, second I also don't care that Harley and Ducati are traditionally at different poles of the motorcycle spectrum, as of right now they both make bikes that are actively competing for my dollars. So you can take your traditions and GTFO.

Now that the house keeping is out of the way lets get to the bikes shall we?

We're all familiar with the Street so I don't think we need much rambling in that area. What I find interesting about the two seemingly opposite offers, is that they are using nearly identical imaging and positioning to sell product.

Harley saw it first, the Street is not your Fathers Harley, while the Scrambler actually is nearly your fathers Ducati. Slightly ironic, maybe?

The positioning is young, care free and ostensibly for the thrill of the ride. ITs easy to assume Ducati and Harley are both speaking to the image, young, care free, hip and fashion conscious. But you're wrong, the demographics of our site will tell you exactly that. Both companies are painting an ideal, they're not speaking to the young and the carefree, they're speaking to their parents.

One could also make the argument that the Scrambler is in far better shape mechanically than the Street 750.
  • Air-cooled 803 cc L-twin engine
  • 75 hp and 50 lb-ft of torque.
  • Six-speed transmission
  • Electronic fuel injection
  • ABS standard
  • LCD instrumentation.
  • Wet weight of 410 lbs

Cost isn't half bad either, $8,495 for the base Scrambler, $9,995 for the upgraded Full THrottle, Enduro or Classic styles. Basically pre modded. Compare that to the $7,500 for the Street 750 and you can see where my dilemma arises. Do I spend the extra $1000 for a bike that is arguably superior, I'm not sure, I do know though that I want both... and bad....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Honestly, both bikes seem like a good choice. I think that you have to make a decision as to how much money you want to spend. Is the Ducati Scrambler actually going to make you $1,000 happier than the HD Street? Personally, I'd rather spend a bit less money and get the Street. Use some of that money to do some mods and make your Street your own.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
At a price difference of $1000, it won't make much of a difference IMO. What's more important is which one someone will like more than the other.
StoneFree and Bugtussle750 like this.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fantasy View Post
One could also make the argument that the Scrambler is in far better shape mechanically than the Street 750.
  • Air-cooled 803 cc L-twin engine
  • 75 hp and 50 lb-ft of torque.
  • Six-speed transmission
  • Electronic fuel injection
  • ABS standard
  • LCD instrumentation.
  • Wet weight of 410 lbs

Cost isn't half bad either, $8,495 for the base Scrambler, $9,995 for the upgraded Full THrottle, Enduro or Classic styles. Basically pre modded. Compare that to the $7,500 for the Street 750 and you can see where my dilemma arises. Do I spend the extra $1000 for a bike that is arguably superior, I'm not sure, I do know though that I want both... and bad....
I don't believe you're asking the right questions based upon the Ducati criteria you listed.

Arguably water-cooled is superior to air-cooled, both have EFI and 6-speed transmissions. ABS is arguably advantagous although I've been riding for 45 years and never had ABS. LCD v analog display is not important as the information for both is digital.

Ultimately this is all relatively unimportant because what is important is how do you ride and what is the purpose of the motorcycle.

For example I'm a very mellow rider. I'm never in a rush and don't like to be overly aggressive riding as it increases the dangers related to riding. I'm long since past my stupid thrill-seeking adventures on the street regardless of whether I'm in a car or on a motorcycle. Performance that is adequate for my riding style is all I really need.

If I was all about hanging my balls out (i.e. riding stupid IMHO) then I'd probably take the Ducati. That's what the Ducati is really designed for. If I was into pleasure riding and getting around town I'd take the Street 500 or Street 750. That's what it's really designed for.

Of note my serious riding is road trips and I use my Sportster for that because it's designed for that purpose.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide what type of riding you intend to use the motorcycle for then pick based upon that criteria.

On a final note there is another key difference. The Ducati is not a Harley and Harley has an international "social group" comprised of all of the Harley Owners Group members. Virtually wherever you go you have "friends" that you can visit, to go on rides with, and to socialize with. You won't find that with the Ducati or any other brand of motorcycle because Harley is the only factory/dealer sponsered owners group in the world. I don't know about Ducati but for Honda owners they'd have to join at least three different owners groups just for the US. For many HOG alone is a determining factor.
HDGuy, bmoothedan, AYEDEE and 6 others like this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-14-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
StoneFree said it best.

Quote:
what is important is how do you ride and what is the purpose of the motorcycle.
^ if you want the best riding experience you can afford out of all the options available to you, that's what the focus should be.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-02-2014, 09:53 PM

Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Garage
I have a dumb question to ask. Does this Ducati Scrambler come equipped with emergency flasher/hazard switch? The Streets don't come equipped with a hazard switch. It would be nice to have that feature on my own Street 750. All the other Harleys do. Even my 04 Suzuki Savage has a hazard switch. Still waiting for someone to compare the Indian Scout to the Street.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo750owner View Post
I have a dumb question to ask. Does this Ducati Scrambler come equipped with emergency flasher/hazard switch? The Streets don't come equipped with a hazard switch. It would be nice to have that feature on my own Street 750. All the other Harleys do. Even my 04 Suzuki Savage has a hazard switch. Still waiting for someone to compare the Indian Scout to the Street.
A hazard flasher? What for? Harley's don't break down on the road anymore. If you did wouldn't a turn signal light work just as well? It's not like a motorcycle is as wide as a car that could still block traffic when parked on the shoulder.

I've been trying to get a test ride on the new Indian Scout but my local dealer won't have one that I can ride until about January. I just called them about aa week ago and asked. I'm looking forward to test riding the Scout as soon as I can because I'm also curious.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-08-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Add the cost of maintenance and insurance to each bike. Insurance companies like to make the profit off bikes with a "sport bike" reputation. And all Duc's, no matter what model, are classified as "sport bikes". Ask the dealer's service department (not the sales guys) what the required maintenance is on the Scrambler, and how much they want for that. I considered all these things, even the cost for valve adjustments on the 750, and tires, into my cost/value equation.

2 Days Older Than Dirt
post #9 of 17 Old 07-11-2016, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am interesting in street750 just from yesterday, I do not know about the quality street 750
but i studied ducati scrambler for a long time, at the beginning , I was very like the scrambler , it looks well , ad everywhere ,parameter looks good , price is not so high.
but when I looked at more and more people say about their scrambler , I noted that scrambler have some quality issue
not big problem, not every scrambler , but definitely not one people got that issue, like rust issue, seat quality issue ,and it seemed that the consults about the issues with dealers are all not happy ending.
and i go to the store to see the scrambler , i saw some of the new bike's threads rusted which they park outside
so the quality of this two bikes ,you need to ask more owner to confirm.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-11-2016, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
This seems like an APPLE & ORANGE comparison to me. Although I'm quite satisfied with the 750 STREET, if I wanted a "Sport Bike" I'd certainly consider the DUCATI. It looks clean and the specs. are impressive. That said it appears to have a 'chain' drive. I guess that most bikes of that type do. After owning several chain drives, throughout the years and a 'belt' drive 02 SOFTAIL for the past >10 years I much prefer the belt such as on my STREET. That's just my opinion. Hey, why not get one of each; one to cruise on and one to do 'wheeles' on!
Dave Novotny likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page