Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Harley sponsored test ride

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  charlesskelter 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I test rode the 750 Street at our local dealer in Wichita. My wife wanted to ride the Dyna Low Rider so I went along on the same test ride, on the 750 Street. I should preface my review and state that I have been riding for 42 years, owned 25 or 30 bikes and have a bike drag racing background. Currently we have an 883 Hugger, a 883 with the 1000 kit and a bunch of other goodies, a decked out 1200C XL and a Road King. Recently I sold my Heritage Softtail. My most recent sport bike was a 750 Katana that I sold in the Fall of 2013. I have owned 15 or 16 Kawasaki KZ's and KH's, from 400 cc to a big bore 1400 KZ1000 drag bike. Also currently have a 125 Vespa (Stella) and have owned several other scooters. Now about the 750. Nice looking naked style bike. The engine was buzzy but seemed to perform well. The speedo showed 110 mph top speed and I think this little bike might make it, I only had it up to 75 but still had two gears to go. The rev limiter seemed to be set a little low as I came up on it several times wringing 2nd gear. Where is the tach? The gearbox was as good as a Jap bike, smooth and no Harley clunks, finally. The ergonomics sucked. I'm 5'6", 150#, 30" inseam. The mirrors showed a great view of my elbows and no amount of adjusting could get a rearview. The non-self cancelling turn signals with the left hand toggle was just a pain. They did have a cancel button but for an experienced rider the toggle and button and placement was bad. The peg placement was strange for a cruiser style handlebar setup. My left hip was cramped after only 15 minutes. Suspension was good for a small rider, I saw a couple of heavier riders go 2 up on it and it did not look comfortable but the bike carried them. My overall impression was overpriced, too expensive for a beginner bike, too lame for an experienced rider. Several other test riders also concurred that we could not figure out the intended market, maybe the Asian and India buyers will like this bike, I was truly disappointed. Buy an XL883, used preferably for half the price, and it will retain at least some of it's value when you get ready to move up. The 750 is not a bike that you will ride for a lot of years. And it won't get you into the Harley "family".

See less See more
#2 ·
Well that's your opinion, and makes no difference to me if youv'e owned 200 bikes. I've only got the 500cc street and I am loving riding this bike and so are a lot of others so that's all that counts, I couldn't care less about your "won't get you in the harley family" coment. I didn't buy the bike to get in the Harley Family as you say, I got this bike as I live in Australia and have only just got my learners liscence and we are not allowed to ride anything over 650cc. I've been to several Harley dealers near where I live and they have made me feel like part of the so called "harley family", I've also gone on several rides with the HOGS, Harley Owners Group and have been made feel very welcome, haven't had a negative comment about my bike yet, enjoy your Streets fellow riders, I am

#4 ·
I also have had several other bikes and currently own a Road King Classic which I love. I ride a Street 500 for fun around town and use it to commute to work. It is a very fun bike. I have enjoyed getting her set up just the way I wanted. I think the Streets are just fun bikes to ride regardless of your rider level.

#5 ·
I'm glad I'm not that felt this review was very lopsided. If he's owned all the bikes he's claimed he'd be perfectly used to the blinker set up he hates so much. I've never had a bike with self canceling blinkers it separate switches...but this certainly explains ask these Harley guys I've seen riding with their blinkers in for miles. I just wish the controls weren't plastic. That aside, any family you have to buy into, isn't with having.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.