Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

My "experience" with the dealership

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Xmsteel 
#1 ·
So today I took in my 750 for them to check the lag and leap issue they "never heard of".

Well, when dropping it off I saw the salesman that sold it to me (the only decent guy there) and told him about it. He said "Oh yeah, another one came in with an issue like that. Not sure what happened but it was about cutting out and stuff".

Hmm. So the Non-service guy knows the same bike has an issue, but the service guys don't?

So anyway, I drop it off. Told I'd be called at 3PM and if not to call them. Of course I ended up calling them.

They said they found nothing wrong on both the test drive and when they hooked it all up. I said it was happening when I brought it in so I found it hard to believe.

He then says "Well we can order a fuel pump and see if that fixes the issue".....

HUH? What issue? There wasn't an issue! And who said anything about a fuel pump?

So I drive there to pick her up. Start her up, notice they DIDN'T do a test ride. 669 Miles when I pulled it in. 669 When I pulled it out. Yet they said the guy did a 30 minute ride?

So I go to leave and it is bucking SO BAD I almost got hit by my father who was following me in my vehicle (to drop me off originally). So we turn around to go back, and I was went to turn into the dealership it cut completely out, causing me to almost fall over and at that split moment it cuts back in again just in time for me to prevent a crash.

I go in, tell them they didn't even ride it and its too unsafe to ride home. They said they'll "call HD Tech" and get a pump sent out so they can put it in.

Approx. 6-8 weeks for the entire process. And my guess is it still won't fix the problem...

THIS NEEDS TO BE A RECALL!

See less See more
#2 ·
@Xmsteel,

"Approx. 6-8 weeks for the entire process"

WHY? All I can think of is that they have had to replace so many pumps, the pumps must be on back-order now. With all of the safety issues aside, this is one piss poor way of doing business. I have two friends who are interested but I've told them to wait; they're not going to wait forever. H-D still has the attitude that they are the only game in town. I tried writing to the CEO and all I got, in the way of a response, was a lie* from one of his underlings. I wonder if this company has a Board of Directors? If so are they aware of what's going on at H-D; do they care?

*By telephone I was told that "the problem is fixed"

#3 ·
Well the thing is I bought it off the showroom floor with a scratch in the gas tank. They were suppose to order the new tank when I bought it, but didn't "get around to it" until I dropped off my bike a month and 20 days later. So now its a 6-8 week wait for a new tank because they have to paint it, or whatever else he said for it to take that long.

They have to wait until Tuesday to call in about my fuel pump, so that won't even be started for another couple days.

Either way it won't really matter, I haven't heard that a new fuel pump helps.

#4 ·
Fuel pump should only take 3 to 7 days to arrive, unless it is on back order. Painted parts for Harley's can take 6 to 8 weeks to come in. I have had my fuel pump replaced once with about 70 miles on it. Have been running it until the fuel light comes on and have had no issues since. I have just under 1,000 miles on it. from my dealership they have only had 1 come back in for a second fuel pump.

#5 ·
New pump will last about 1500 miles unless they have modified the design already, I will try to remember to check if there is an updated part number for it tomorrow- I work at a dealership, And I am sorry for your experience, if your dealership is owned by a bigger company or has more than one you should c as ll the vice president of that dealership and complain-our VP goes nuts when customers call him about bad service! Again sorry to hear about your bad experience.

#6 · (Edited)
Hmm, well it still hasn't shown as shipped out yet according to the Service Dept; the tank has been packaged and is ready to ship though.

The guy also said a recall just came out for the fuel pump, but I don't see anything anywhere (including NHTSA) saying anything about it...

Nevermind, just checked HD's site:

The fuel pump module, P/N 61200001, on some model year 2015 Harley-Davidson Street family vehicles (XG500 and XG750) may have a poor seal at the fuel pump inlet.
Model
2015 Street 750

Safety Risk
A poor seal may allow an interruption to the fuel supply under acceleration at low fuel levels, possibly before the low fuel indicator has illuminated. If thiscondition remains undetected, under acceleration with the fuel level below 0.8 gallons, the motrocycle may briefly hesitate and then restore power abruptly, possibly leading to a loss of control.

#7 ·
Hang in there, they are getting the kits made, on the 7th the letters to owners will stsrt to arrive and on the 14th the actual kits will hit the dealership's .it is recall 0167, a bit excited too as my bike started symptoms again on its third fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.