Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Woodruff key , lag leap problem

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Satish 
#1 ·
This is the second time in a matter of 2 weeks that I had to get my woodruff key replaced. I have read in other threads that this could mean extensive damage to the engine. Has anyone else faced this issue?
The other issue is the lag in acceleration where it seems the engine would almost die and sudden leap it takes when accelerated. Again this seems to be a comman issue with international owners of the street 750. Has anyone else faced a similar problem? Currently the company has replaced the key under warranty a second time, but its excruciating to have the vehicle stalled in the middle of nowhere with an unresolvable issue like this. If anyone knows how this can be avoided please enlighten. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
wow, sorry to hear ya got all those problems.
there is a post where another member had woodruff key problems.

HD should put a new engine on that bike for you.....demand it!.....they have done it for others with that problem.

and the stalling may be due to the lag and leap issue, where the fuel pickup tube sucks air when the fuel gets low.

their is a recall for this and HD is putting in new and better fuel pumps and so far it seems to solve the problem. check with your dealer to get this done.

for now, refuel before 100 miles and maybe that problem wont cause an accident until you can get the recall attended too.

#7 ·
Thanks, rock270 and I apologise for the delay in my reply.As of now the service guys have replaced the woodruf key a second time and assured me that the problem will not reoccur. I have ridden around 250 kms after that with no issues. In india an engine replacement is almost unheard of. I just hope the key remains intact from now on.
Rgds satish

#3 ·
Hi Satish;

I have not had the Woodruff Key issue. I have had the lag and leap issue which I believe has been resolved. There is a recall going on for this issue at this time. There are new fuel pumps being produced ( or at least a fix to the old fuel pump?) I had one installed a couple weeks ago and no more lag an leap. I will be monitoring this for a while but as I like to run my tank to at least 140 miles before filling if it comes back I will know it.

I hope you get the Woodruff Key issue fixed. I know a few others have had this issue.

mgg

#8 ·
Hi mgg,
I apologise for the late reply. As u rightly said, there was a fuel pump replacement call back and they replaced my fuel pump under warranty along with the woodruf key. The lead lag problem is very little now, but I am told to expect it under low fuel conditions. I was even advised to refuel every time the gas hits half tank, which is to be assumed based on my odometer reading since there is no fuel guage on the bike. I have taken a detailed report on the woodruf keys and fuel pump replacement. I havent faced an issue in 250 kms of riding yet. Keeping the fingers crossed.
Rgds Satish

#5 ·
there is a thread about this, ....doing a search here likely could locate the post...

to the best of what I recall about the woodruff key problem, is that it strips/breaks on the crankshaft, and causes damage to the engine's flywheel and timing mechanism. when it happens once, it has happened again....and Harley then installed a new engine in the owners bike.

hope this helps some..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.