Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Throttle Cable Help

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  DavidAce750 
#1 ·
I was riding home from work today and ended up having my throttle give out on me. The bike was still powered on but it was not getting any juice. How hard is it to fix a throttle cable and should I just take it into a professional? I am not super handy but I also dont want to spend a lot of money for something that may be simple to fix. Any insights help.

#2 ·
If you know how to remove the gas tank as well as the air filter housing, then it is easy to get too to replace both the idle and throttle cable. First I would recommend taking the air filter housing off and see if both cables are connected. Also check your throttle body to see if the wire is not broken. If you're not comfortable about doing this then by all means take it to your dealer to have it repaired.

#4 ·
I purchased some 5/16 and 1/4 vacuum line hose end caps. I also purchased 3/4 inch stainless steel hose clamps. You will also need a good pair of side cutters to cut off one of the OEM clamps connecting the crossover black fuel line tubing. Once you have these items, you will need to run the bike almost completely out of fuel without stranding yourself somewhere. Loosen and remove tank bolts in front of the seat. You will raise the tank from the rear up slightly so that you can reach in with side cutters to cut clamp on the kickstand side of the bike. not the muffler side. You want to put vacuum line hose end cap where you pulled the crossover hose off and have a container to catch remaining fuel from the loose hose. The less fuel you have in the tank, the better. Once you have one side of the tank drained you can remove the tank carefully with crossover hose still attached to one side and feed hose under frame and lift out carefully. When you put the tank back on, feed the crossover line in the same way you pulled it out with the tank and use SS hose clamp and reconnect hose and tighten clamp with a small flathead screw driver.

This is how I did it.

#5 ·
Make life Easy. Get one of those Gas Siphons for Lawn/Yard equipment. And pump out the Tank into a Gas Can. You wont get it all. But it will make it Lighter. And if it spills, Wont be as bad.

Maybe something is blocking the Air Filter?? Take the cover off and look. That's also how you can check the T-Plate. To see if the cables are working.

#7 ·
Make life Easy. Get one of those Gas Siphons for Lawn/Yard equipment. And pump out the Tank into a Gas Can. You wont get it all. But it will make it Lighter. And if it spills, Wont be as bad.

I will probably try doing this method. I also need to figure out where to get new throttle cables that are not an arm and a leg. Any ideas? I was hoping revzilla would have some but the do not.

#8 ·
Do you have any "Drag" on the cables?? I'm still trying to figure out Why you think you need new ones. Maybe the Cables need Adjusting. Found out what a 9mm Wrench fits. Think that was the first time I used it since I bought the set *Roughly) 15 years ago.

#10 ·
Make sure you use Blue Thread Locker on the Air Box Mounting Bolts. One of mine was only held by a couple of threads. I forget who on this forum, Had their engine messed up. When the bolt got sucked down the Intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.