Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Concerns using a jack/lift

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Pittsburghpilot 
#1 ·
Any concerns with using a jack(craftsman yellow) beyond the obvious of the bike falling off/over? My question relates to damaging components under the bike and stressing components that are not supposed to be weight bearing. It looks as the frame rails are not the lowest part of the bike and the motor case would contact the jack but I am not definite about that. Anyone with experience (hopefully good) or technique? I have the Street 750.....

#3 · (Edited)
There are no concerns. I have had this Yellow Sears for 10 years plus. While I do not recommend using any lift with out straps nor do I recommend getting on it, this was done to prove a point. As for your Street Look under it. The Sears Yellow was also used when installing the the sidecar on Solo750 Street 750. Always use the lock to support it once it is lifted.
The case sticks slightly below the frame rails you may wish to shim the supports of any lift to avoid the case as any part of the lift point.
When lifting place lift under the bike from the opposite as the jiffy stand . Have the stand down at all times. When you lower the bike have one hand on the handle bars and bike will settle just fine.

Sears Pro yellow.

Attachments

#4 ·
You can purchase proper frame protectors from ebay that you simply cut to the size you require - these clip on the frame wherever you want them to go and they, being made of rubber / plastic, protect the frame as well as making the frame the first point of contact for a lift to touch. I purchased one for mine but quickly realised that it is a lot of faffing about to actually get the lift correctly positioned and also a very time consuming issue to have to strap it up when it is lifted so I purchased a centre stand which aids in lifting the wheels off the ground for any job I need to do without worry of it falling over.

#6 ·
Hi, Well I could not say for definite as I don't have a bag but the stand does not stick out and up that much so I would be very surprised if it touched the bag - perhaps someone on the forum may be able to answer. Might be a good idea to start a new thread and ask ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.