New custom number plate doesn't fit! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By zipster_77

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-23-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
New custom number plate doesn't fit!

I recently had to re-register my bike in NSW (where I live) as I originally bought the bike in QLD and my wife also bought me a custom plate for my birthday, and so when registering the bike yesterday I received my new custom plate, took it home and realised it doesn't fit my bike! The holes on the plate are about 3-5mm too far outwards, meaning if I screw in one side, I can't screw in the other! I can't tell if this is a problem with custom NSW plates (meaning the Street 500 simply hasn't been designed for them) or just NSW plates in general (meaning I somehow have a QLD specific plate holder!) but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Glue? Cable ties? Drill new holes into the plates? I'm not sure what to do!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-23-2016, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
get two bits off alloy strips drill two holes 3-5 mm apart.. one for bracket one for plate... counter sink them so the screw is flush on the bracket hole. (otherwise plate will sit on the screw ) bolt your plate on and you wont even know its done. it will save u messing up your plate and u wont have ugly ties.

Hope this helps
10-64 and CaiCardenas like this.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much, I'll try that!

post #4 of 6 Old 02-24-2016, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipster_77 View Post
get two bits off alloy strips drill two holes 3-5 mm apart.. one for bracket one for plate... counter sink them so the screw is flush on the bracket hole. (otherwise plate will sit on the screw ) bolt your plate on and you wont even know its done. it will save u messing up your plate and u wont have ugly ties.

Hope this helps
Hey buddy. Thanks for the info provided. However I have a request:

I may be a little off today, or maybe it's the new meds they gave me in post-op but I'm not really following the steps you provided. I am running into a si liar situation with my Veterans tag and see this would help. But for the life of me I am just having a time literally understanding what you are explaining. Could you try to make the steps more understandable, or more easily readable please?

Thank you

Best,

USVet96

Veteran - Air Force Special Operations (AFSOC)

"Ad Astra per Aspera"

2016 Street 750
post #5 of 6 Old 02-29-2016, 01:56 AM

basically what you are doing is....
putting a plate in that lines up with yr normal holes and drilling anther hole 3-5 mml apart on the same plate. that should line up with yr new plate. one for each side.
get a plate
drill two hole 3-5 mml apart.
countersink the holes. first hole counter sink the front so the plate screws flush with number plate. so the plate sits flat.
counter sink the backside of the hole for the new number plate.
screw the new counter sunk plate on... with a nut holding it in place. both sides.
then feed the next screw in the back side so its flush and these ones should line up to yr new plate.
put yr nuts on good to go.

Last edited by zipster_77; 02-29-2016 at 01:58 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-29-2016, 02:00 AM

basically you are making extended brackets it will bring the plate out a little. but will save u drilling into yr plastics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page