Aftermarket TAB Exhausts Street 500 - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By aussie biker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Aftermarket TAB Exhausts Street 500

Anyone put TAB performance slip on exhaust on Street 500?

Wanting aftermarket exhaust that is 'legal' in Australia. Any suggestions out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-17-2017, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Legal?? Since when has that mattered? Haha

Sent from my VFD 300 using Tapatalk
Propnut likes this.

Oi oi oi
post #3 of 10 Old 01-19-2018, 01:10 AM

Newby - Whangaparaoa NZ

My wife is back on a bike after 30 years, and the street 500 was low enough to get her feet flat on the ground, as a confidence builder.
Found a bike with less than 1,000km on it. Previous lady owner couldn't 'get the hang of it', so her loss is our gain. Only had it a week, but she wouldn't let me ride it home from Hamilton, and she loves it. First Harley in our family, so I might have to retrain my Harley appreciation!

post #4 of 10 Old 01-19-2018, 01:13 AM

OOps. - Wrong forum for the above post - Sorry
Our bike of 1 week came with a TAB exhaust. Noisier than the Two Brothers exhaust on my Honda ST1300, - Love the V Twin sound off it.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-20-2018, 12:31 AM
LWS

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Surely a 2 into 2 is the only way to go...
Mufflers are OK but they lack the classic Harley sound which is disappointing.

Riding past 883's with stock pipes for example makes the 500 sound like a moped, even with an aftermarket muffler.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-20-2018, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS View Post
Mufflers are OK but they lack the classic Harley sound which is disappointing.
No Street / Rod will ever have that classic Harley sound LWS, on account of a totally different engine design. The 'potato potato' sound comes from a long stroke (the stroke is a larger measurement than the diameter of the bore) 45 degree air cooled V twin, whereas what we all have is an over square (the bore is larger than the stroke) 60 degree liquid cooled V twin. Over square motors are capable of more RPM than a long stroke, which is why your Street revs to 8 -9 grand and a big twin only manages 6 ish. Horses for courses and all that .
post #7 of 10 Old 01-20-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil13 View Post
The 'potato potato' sound comes from a long stroke (the stroke is a larger measurement than the diameter of the bore) 45 degree air cooled V twin, whereas what we all have is an over square (the bore is larger than the stroke) 60 degree liquid cooled V twin
Not only that, but the Street idles at a much higher speed than the classic Big Twins. The Street idles at, what, 1300 RPM? My M8 idles at around 900, and the classic shovelhead idled at around 600 RPM.

So, in a nutshell, no, you'll never get the classic Harley big-twin sound out of an oversquare, 60-degree, high-idling engine.

However, you can get (IMO) a huge improvement in sound with a simple muffler change. I nearly didn't buy my Street 750 when I heard the engine; many people have used the term "sewing machine" to describe it, and I think that's accurate. I switched to a Screamin' Eagle Nightstick and it was dramatically improved. It resulted in a case of perma-grin.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-20-2018, 06:34 PM
LWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Quote:
The 'potato potato' sound comes from a long stroke (the stroke is a larger measurement than the diameter of the bore) 45 degree air cooled V twin, whereas what we all have is an over square (the bore is larger than the stroke) 60 degree liquid cooled V twin
Not only that, but the Street idles at a much higher speed than the classic Big Twins. The Street idles at, what, 1300 RPM? My M8 idles at around 900, and the classic shovelhead idled at around 600 RPM.

So, in a nutshell, no, you'll never get the classic Harley big-twin sound out of an oversquare, 60-degree, high-idling engine.

However, you can get (IMO) a huge improvement in sound with a simple muffler change. I nearly didn't buy my Street 750 when I heard the engine; many people have used the term "sewing machine" to describe it, and I think that's accurate. I switched to a Screamin' Eagle Nightstick and it was dramatically improved. It resulted in a case of perma-grin.
https://youtu.be/QBT2UYwIrcM

The difference between this and an aftermarket muffler is dramatic.

I think we confused the Harley classic sound and what’s shown on this video by using twin pipes.

Huge improvement imo
post #9 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS View Post
https://youtu.be/QBT2UYwIrcM

The difference between this and an aftermarket muffler is dramatic.

I think we confused the Harley classic sound and what’s shown on this video by using twin pipes.

Huge improvement imo
The sound that Street makes is certainly a vast improvement on, as Gaijin says the 'sewing machine' OEM pipes, BUT! Your going to pay a price for them and not just the purchase cost and the trade off will be great sound vs power.

If these are a pair of (presumably) straight through pipes with no baffles, and no balance pipe between them, then they are essentially drag pipes, so you can expect a noticeable drop in bottom end power in the lower rev band, as there will be little or no back pressure in the pipes, they will however be very good when you're riding flat out.

I don't know how you ride LWS, but personally riding flat out everywhere doesn't work for me! While the stock muffler is cr*p, it does help deliver the power band where 90 odd % of riders want it, mid range.

So while I agree with the points you make, that is too big a trade off for me personally to consider fitting pipes like these. (They do look nice though!)
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2018, 04:28 AM
LWS

Quote:
The sound that Street makes is certainly a vast improvement on, as Gaijin says the 'sewing machine' OEM pipes, BUT! Your going to pay a price for them and not just the purchase cost and the trade off will be great sound vs power.

If these are a pair of (presumably) straight through pipes with no baffles, and no balance pipe between them, then they are essentially drag pipes, so you can expect a noticeable drop in bottom end power in the lower rev band, as there will be little or no back pressure in the pipes, they will however be very good when you're riding flat out.

I don't know how you ride LWS, but personally riding flat out everywhere doesn't work for me! While the stock muffler is cr*p, it does help deliver the power band where 90 odd % of riders want it, mid range.

So while I agree with the points you make, that is too big a trade off for me personally to consider fitting pipes like these. (They do look nice though!)
100% agree mate - definitely need to keep in mind the power change when using these type of custom pipes.
My point was purely sound related, but of course with this type of sound and the method of gaining it, you inevitably have to suffer a performance change.

Yes a slip on such as the SE Might Stick is a vast improvement, but as with my first post, it lacks the sound that i differentiates the Harley to any other with an aftermarket pipe.

The twin pipes (with or without baffles) does give a sound that nods more towards the direction of the 'classic Harley' though, even if it's not mechanically capable of being so.

Each to their own I guess

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page