I guess I will be first. - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 07-02-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Had a friend check out my bike. They said it was actually acting kind of weird so as soon as I get the control assembly replaced I will take it down to Harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 07-03-2016, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Mine goes into N just by bumping the shift lever. Sometimes a Pain when on rough roads. But after riding for 10 years I know when it happens and can react.
Al Jr likes this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #13 of 18 Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Jr View Post
I am a new rider, bought a 750 (12 miles on the odo), finished the endorsement course- all no problem. I was practicing in the neighborhood to get used to shifting and stopping and starting. I was at a stop sign, no traffic, beautiful weather and somehow I lost control when I tried to go. I don't know what I did wrong but at least I steered it out of the way of the utility pole - barely but I did take out a mail box and a cable TV junction box. Now with 20 miles on the odo.

I scratched up the fairing, I bent my gear shift lever (and now it will only go into neutral if it is powered off), right front turn signal stalk is pulled out a bit, right hand control module twists freely, the exhaust pipe is dented a bit on the side facing the frame with a slight flat spot on the outside (noticeable only if you are looking) and of course my cool points were thrown about. As for injuries, aside from my ego, I have some very minor bruises.

Any advice, comments, or words of wisdom?
Same thing happened to me when I started riding the 750. Hadn't ridden a bike in a while and I wasn't prepared for the torque....I my case I just didn't respect the bike. I turned out (right) onto a 4 lane rode, went a little wide, bumped the throttle and almost clipped the passenger side of another car doing about 45. I was lucky. I immediately went back and practiced and practiced that turn again to get my confidence back. I was pretty shaken. Respect the bike, have fun, and be careful!!
Al Jr likes this.

post #14 of 18 Old 07-03-2016, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
A couple of my Semi Local HD dealers call the Street 750 a "Starter Bike". I argued with them over it. The 500 is a "Starter Bike". Not the 750. I call it an "Intermediate Bike" Because of the amount of power off the line.
UnaClocker and Al Jr like this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #15 of 18 Old 07-05-2016, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
For anyone that wants to replace parts on their bike after a little tumble I have used the following websites to get part numbers. I'm going to be changing my turn signals on my bike and would rather not splice the wires so I'm going to use OEM pins and connectors. I used the first link to get the part number and the second for the actual part. The prices are cheaper than what a dealer would charge you and these come from a dealer.

OEM Parts Finder Granite State Harley-Davidson Lebanon, NH (603) 448-4664

https://shop.newcastlehd.com/catalog/parts

I hope these links will help you all get their bikes back to the way they were.
Al Jr likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-19-2016, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
40 years ago

I am glad you didn’t have a serious accident. The damage to your bike gives it some character and will serve as a reminder as you get more experienced.

My friend Karl, told me forty years ago to be careful. Most riders will have some sort of accident in the first year. He said the best you can hope for is that it will be a little one.

Sure enough on a wet street in Tacoma Park Maryland in 1979 I went down avoiding the car in front of me. Broke the kick starter off my Yamaha. Restarted it with what was left of the kick starter and road home.

Best thing to do is to get back on that horse and ride.

JohnC
BodybagJonny likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-22-2016, 04:02 PM

So let me relate my story and maybe it will make you feel a bit better. Anyways almost 2 years ago (Christmas of 2014) I got a wild hair up my butt and decided out of the blue that me and the wife were going to get a motorcycle and learn how to ride. She had mentioned it for years about wanting to ride but never really talked about it seriously. Iím still not sure why all of a sudden it had to be then. I did all kinds of research (of course it had to be a Harley) and wheeling and dealing and finally settled on a used 2014 Sportster 1200c. It was used with only 17 miles on it (and still does but we will get to that in a min). The story went that they sold it to a gentleman who bought it for his wife. Before he took delivery he ended up getting a divorce. So he traded it in for a bike he wanted. I basically got a brand new bike for several thousand off retail so I thought I was doing good. I even worked in financing on new helmets, jackets, gloves, and even boots for the wife. I setup the safety course and away we went. The class portion was easy and the next 2 days (same day I took delivery of my bike) we got to ride around on the class bikes which were little 250 Yamahaís and Suzukiís. I had never been on a bike before and never even driven a stick shift car but by the end of the last day I was feeling pretty good.
I immediately went out and got my endorsement and thought I was ready to ride. Feeling confident, I coasted my bike down to the bottom of my driveway (itís kinda steep). I started it up and attempted to take off but a went about 10 feet and laid it down. Just a few scratches mind you but scared the crap out of me. I havenít tried with that bike since.
Awhile back I thought maybe it would help to get a scooter so I could get used to just being on a bike without having to work the clutch, etc. So I bought a scooter powerful enough to keep up with traffic. This worked out pretty well for me and is a nice machine. I recently decided that I could use a much cheaper machine that was lighter, that I wouldnít cry if it got scratched. After looking at a bunch of different bikes I wandered back into the HD dealer and after much finagling they got me into a used 2015 Street 750 with a couple minor scratches. Just driving around my neighborhood Iím finally getting used to it a little. I just stall starting out from time to time. One thing I had to figure out that when I took the course they said to gently let out the clutch as you slowly roll on the throttle. I was trying to both at the same time and it was causing me much grief. I found that if I slowly let out the clutch as a walk it forward a little bit, when its finally almost completely out, then I can finally apply a little throttle. Itís still pretty jerky in 1st gear though.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-23-2016, 07:19 AM

Garage
Yeah 1st gear is pretty sharp I have to admit but I change up as soon as I'm off and most of the slow stuff is done in 2nd. Not sure if you want to try this but it worked for me. let clutch go to biting point put on a little throttle and keep it there, slowly let the clutch bite leaving throttle where it is until your moving then change up and accelerate, now after a week I'm doing it without thinking and without the steps being noticeable and it has stopped me duck walking it away too. My previous bike a V7 Classic was really smooth away and you could do it in one step but the Street needed a bit of work.

Now my story, my driveway is sloped down to the pavement (sidewalk?) then a slight incline to the pavement flat pavement then a slope down to the road which has quite a pronounced camber. I usually hang around when leaving and the bike mysteriously finds itself parked in the kerb so husband leaves for work early and I have no choice but to get her out myself, turn her on to paddle her down the drive realise I'll need a bit of wellie to get her up the slope to the pavement. So picture this it would make Steve McQueen proud! I release the clutch just a little too fast in an "OH ****" moment I leap forward launching myself up the slope to the pavement, I clear said pavement miss the slope to the road I manage a sharp right turn missing the car parked across the road by millimetres and end up facing sideways across the road. All the while keeping it upright, this earned a round of applause from the window cleaner and a startled look from our elderly neighbour. Now I've been riding for over thirty years and I was still taken by surprise by this so please it happens to all of us don't let it get to your confidence. Change little things your not happy with and eventually you'll find what works for you practice! practice!.

Diane x (Evel Kinevel in training!)
BodybagJonny likes this.

Growing Old Disgracefully!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page