21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-29-2016, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy I guess I will be first.

I am a new rider, bought a 750 (12 miles on the odo), finished the endorsement course- all no problem. I was practicing in the neighborhood to get used to shifting and stopping and starting. I was at a stop sign, no traffic, beautiful weather and somehow I lost control when I tried to go. I don't know what I did wrong but at least I steered it out of the way of the utility pole - barely but I did take out a mail box and a cable TV junction box. Now with 20 miles on the odo.

I scratched up the fairing, I bent my gear shift lever (and now it will only go into neutral if it is powered off), right front turn signal stalk is pulled out a bit, right hand control module twists freely, the exhaust pipe is dented a bit on the side facing the frame with a slight flat spot on the outside (noticeable only if you are looking) and of course my cool points were thrown about. As for injuries, aside from my ego, I have some very minor bruises.

Any advice, comments, or words of wisdom?

Last edited by Al Jr; 06-30-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-30-2016, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
all bikes get dropped at some point. so far with my own 750, i've softly let it down on the exhaust pipe while practicing figure 8s and scuffed the front fender under the tall back bumper of a truck. yes, ego gets crushed each time, but hopefully the damage (to the bike) can be fixed most often and learning from the unfortunate experience to become a better rider helps
Al Jr likes this.

2008 VRSCDA, locked in storage
2015 XG750 made in India
both Vivid Black
Honda Wave125 daily scooter
post #3 of 18 Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I had the same thing happen to me when I first started on the 750 last summer missed a concrete pole and bench got on the side walk and was heading
for a brick wall layed it down in the grass bent the gear shifter and front fender, broke the speed screen, knocked loose the right turn signal and the Harley shop fixed it when I took it in for the 1000 mile service. Was able to fix the screen myself.
Anyway it happens don't let it get you down just be easy with that throttle in first gear and make sure you have the right air pressure in your tires
34 PSI in front and 42 PSI in rear. It could of been some sand, loose rocks or something on the road, oil?
Good luck! Ride Safe!
Al Jr likes this.

Ride Safe Be Safe!

post #4 of 18 Old 06-30-2016, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't yet dropped while moving yet, but I have dropped while stopped (parking lots, in class, at lights and stop signs-with just about every bike I've been on) an embarrassing amount of times. We've all been there.
Al Jr likes this.

Last edited by ycbrewster; 07-01-2016 at 12:05 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-30-2016, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This happened to my partner the first time he rode his 750 (the day after he finished his course). The XG750 is a sprightly little guy and requires a gentle touch on the throttle to start off. I've been riding since I was 8 and it took me by surprise a little the first time I got on my 750.

While my partner's bike was in the shop getting all the damage from his first attempt to ride fixed I suggested he take the course again to get more confident. He went to an actual Harley course and learned on a XG500 (the first course was with a generic school that had him on a Royal Enfield), long story short he came out of the second class a lot more prepared. I took him down to an abandoned street and let him practice for a couple weeks before we tried an actual ride around the neighborhood. He's now a great rider and we've done a few thousand miles worth of riding across the TX Hill Country.

Keep at it. Practice makes perfect. Don't let these little mishaps shake your confidence.
Al Jr likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-30-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well a quick update. I straighten the gear shift lever, fixed the mirror, removed the fairing (looks better IMHO), fixed the turn signal stalk. The exhaust is creating slightly more back pressure and therefore heat, minor but noticeable. I was planning to replace with a slip on anyhow. Ordered a new control assembly housing ($12-score!). I still have not found all my cool points that I spilled all over the place nor have I been able to mend my broken ego. But I won't give up. I have great health insurance (I think I will need that more than I need bike insurance - no worries I have that too)

I have not been able to figure out how to adjust the "Won't go into neutral while on" problem. The service guy said that is normal for this engine and to rock it back and forth but I told him it did not do that before I became Capt MailboxKiller. He said just bring it to the shop as it is under warranty. Thoughts? BTW thanx for sharing guys, I appreciate it.
scottmcq and ycbrewster like this.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
On the Neutral thing, I will say that problem got much better for me after the first oil change. And it does go into neutral a lot easier if you get it there will still rolling to a stop.
SWDan and Al Jr like this.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-01-2016, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
The guy I had a couple of refresher lessons with gave me a tip on finding neutral. He said shift up to 2nd, then give the lever a gentle tap with your boot heel. Works for me - hopefully you haven't damaged something though, so taking it back under warranty is good advice.
JONBERG, ycbrewster, Al Jr and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-01-2016, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewe View Post
the guy i had a couple of refresher lessons with gave me a tip on finding neutral. He said shift up to 2nd, then give the lever a gentle tap with your boot heel. Works for me - hopefully you haven't damaged something though, so taking it back under warranty is good advice.

yep, that works!
Al Jr likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewE View Post
The guy I had a couple of refresher lessons with gave me a tip on finding neutral. He said shift up to 2nd, then give the lever a gentle tap with your boot heel. Works for me - hopefully you haven't damaged something though, so taking it back under warranty is good advice.
This is how I always go into neutral. Also, it becomes a lot easier right around the 2500 mile mark.
Al Jr likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page