6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 09-24-2016, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Second God **** Time

Well, I feel like an idiot. I just installed my Chappell Customs muffler and I went for a quick test ride. I live in a condo complex so there are these alleys before you get to the street. I drove out of my garage and then as I was making a left for the driveway I'm guessing the bike slipped on the leaves (very windy the last couple of days and the streets are covered by leaves) and I fell on my right side again along with the bike... again. The first time was my 3rd day of ownership.
The rear brake pedal is bent again but it seems to function. The throttle feels jiggly and loose and I scraped the brand new muffler pretty bad. Also damaged was more scrapes to the heat shield and brake lever and rear brake pedal arm.
Do I quit? are these falls a sign that I shouldn't be riding? I just don't know what to do. I'll probably take the bike to the dealer to get the throttle and brake checked out when I have some cash to pay for it. Until then I'm at a cross roads. I've only been riding for 3 months or so and I've already fallen twice, and in the same manner. It happened so fast I can't even recount exactly the reason aside from the leaves making the ground slippery. I just needed to vent about this. I am in pain and I am just down about it all. I love riding so much but now I fear that I'm not cut out for it. What do I do? I'm a ball of emotion right now over it all. Plus I am in a lot of pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-24-2016, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Before you get Seriously Hurt, Take a MSF course. Or get with some Experienced Riders who can give you tips. And observe the way you ride. Your Dealership would be a good place to meet New, And More Experienced Riders.

Wet Leaves are one of the Worst things to ride over. I Try to avoid. But if you can't, Slow and Steady. Just like riding in the rain. Take the Turns with as little lean as possible. I've had my Motorcycle License just over 10 years. And have had, On Occasion, the Rear Wheel starting to slide out. When it happens, I keep the bike upright. Once the tire gets past a certain point(On a lean) you're going over.
top and 10-64 like this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 22 Old 09-24-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Why do you assume I didn't take the course? I took it and passed at the top of the class. I'm just not understanding what I did to cause the two falls of similar circumstance.

post #4 of 22 Old 09-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
You didn't mention the MSF course. But you have only been riding 3 months. Which tells me its from a Lack of Experience. Which is why I suggested riding with more experienced riders. So they can observe. And offer advice to help keep you out of trouble. I never took a Riding Course. But I do ride with different groups. Including the Bucks County HOG. My Dealerships "Legacy Ride" which involved Over 100 motorcycles. The other day I went with a group leaving my dealership. Heading to the York, PA Assembly Plant. Which was about 120 Miles each way from the dealership.
Deepaksit22 likes this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 22 Old 09-24-2016, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Not sure what may have caused your drop, not that experienced myself as I just bought my first bike back in May. So I can only say a few things I do that seem to give me confidence in starting out.

When I first head out, I generally baby the **** out of the bike till I make it to a big road. I want the tires warm before I give it much throttle at all. So pulling out of my garage and drive way I am barely giving any throttle in turns, and often am sliding my motorcycle boots along the pavement just in case. Once I am on the road and pointed straight I will give it a little gas, but I do slow down more than normal when making the next two turns to get to the main road. I have to pull out into traffic at that point so I wait for a big gap. I pull slowly onto the road, and wait till I am pointed straight. At that point I gun it and drive my normal wreckless self.

Probably not the right way to do it, but I will say I haven't even been close to dumping it with this method (knock on wood).

I have ridden bicycles hard for decades, and basically I do the same thing on a bicycle. I have dumped my bicycle way too many times trying to peddle hard in a turn to start out.
BodybagJonny likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-25-2016, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Don't let it get you down bud, leaves are the worst and 10x when wet could of been sand or gravel, or a number of things, be easy practice, look around constantly for hazards like everyone is out to get you but don't be scared. If you are unsure practice in an empty parking lot until you feel confidant I know the love you feel for riding as I ride every day only drive a car if its below 30 degrees and the changing of summer to fall is awesome time to ride. Sometimes ill even ride in 20 degree weather to work and back and I only wear a half helmet so. Very good point ride with some experienced riders!!!
SgtTDC likes this.

Ride Safe Be Safe!
post #7 of 22 Old 09-25-2016, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
my only (so far) drop to the right side was when practicing figure8s (aka "the box") at low speed. basically just rested the 750 on the muffler after pulling in the clutch and losing all my forward thrust. i expected i the bike to cut off automatically, but it did not (my V-Rod did when i flubbed the same maneuver, but to the left, eight years ago, it apparently has a tilt sensor and the Streets don't)

while i have never had any high speed crashes with my Harleys i have had many drops and a crash with my first ever motorcycle (Yamaha DT80) which resulted in bent mirrors/turn lights and some bruises/road rash.

thing i am getting at is that your first bike is going to take some abuse as you gain riding experience. i would say keep riding so long as you can afford to keep yourself healthy, the bike road worthy.and you are willing to keep learning something new every time you saddle up to ride

2008 VRSCDA, locked in storage
2015 XG750 made in India
both Vivid Black
Honda Wave125 daily scooter
post #8 of 22 Old 09-25-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Man am I sore today. Gonna take a break from riding for a bit and give it another go. It's also been 95 degrees here so it is far too hot to ride with full gear. This fall was when I was just going for a quick test ride after installing my exhaust. I must not having been paying attention to the basics coupled with the lack of traction on the ground and there I am on my ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #9 of 22 Old 09-25-2016, 10:29 PM

I respect the fact that you came on here and shared what happened, giving it another go when your ready is a great plan. Leaves are the worst, give yourself a break and enjoy the bike when your ready! All my best to you.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-19-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Had a similar issue with gravel unexpectedly - Turned into a drive way low speed, just touched the front brake a little as I hit the gravel and it was enough to cause the front wheel to lock and slip out from under me........

Best thing is to get back on and go for a ride........your physical bruises will heal, the embarrassment may last a little longer.

If you want some braking tips there is some good reading on the Harley site. Avoid grass, leaves, gravel and white paint on roads.

https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/...face_devil.png New XG500 2017 - soon to be proud owner.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page