Cannonball coast to coast came through - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl View Post
Bbally thanks for posting the pictures!

Most welcome

Cool about the prints. And that you got to help. They were telling the story of the bike in flames. But since they crossed the divide it is only legend and lore now. Hah
StoneFree likes this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 09-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
I did make it to the final check-in at Destination Harley-Davidson in Tacoma before the Cannonball rode over the the LeMay Museum for the closing ceremonies. I took dozens of pictures of the old Harley's, Indians, BMW's and very rare Hendersons that I could share but equal to all of the vintage pre-1937 motorcycles that made this monumental ride from Daytona I found something else.

Mixed in with the hundreds of well-wishers that congregated at Destination Harley-Davidson were two unique riders and their respective motorcycles. They weren't from the vintage motorcycle camp that predates even me but instead they were from the era of old school bobber and chopper builders that I grew up with.

The first that I met was Michael and the classic old school Harley-Davidson bobber he built in 1979. It was mostly built using a 1973 shovelhead and it's registered as a '73 but the parts came out of baskets so it's really a mix-match of parts. He's the original builder and has been riding the motorcyle for the last 36 years and it shows it. The big dent in the gas tank, the repaired handlebars that he used coat hanger to weld up, the deteriorated paint job, and the duct taped seat all testify to decades of riding his unrestored Harley bobber. As Mike Wolf on American Pickers would say it is true "rusty gold" reflecting hard riding and abuse over dozens of years.

I also met Steven and his classic old school Triumph chopper that he built in 1979 and has been riding ever since. This motorcycle also remains unchanged from it's original build although it is in much better shape than Michael's Harley bobber. From the extended girder forks to the sprung seat, pizza-cutter front tire and narrow rear tire everything is correct on this old school chopper because it was built during the era of old school choppers.

It is rare enough to even find an untouched original old school bobber or chopper but to find one still being ridden and in the possession of the original builder is almost unheard of.

The Cannonball was the cake for the day but these two classic motorcycles and meeting Michael and Steve was the icing on the cake for me.

bbally and AYEDEE like this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

Last edited by StoneFree; 09-23-2014 at 10:48 AM.
post #23 of 27 Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Five Cannonball H-D's Stolen

TACOMA, Wash. -- A group of vintage-motorcycle riders completed their cross-country dream in Tacoma on Monday, only to have their triumph stolen by some fast-moving thieves.

A truck, trailer, five vintage Harley Davidson motorcycles and equipment totaling more than $250,000 was swiped from a hotel parking lot in Tacoma.

All the equipment belongs to a team of eight riders who had just completed the 4,000-mile Cannonball Endurance Run from Dayton Beach, Florida to Tacoma.

Dream trip ends in agony when thieves steal vintage motorcycles | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

post #24 of 27 Old 09-24-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
**** I know how to water board if you have ideas of who
StoneFree likes this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #25 of 27 Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
**** I know how to water board if you have ideas of who
I don't advocate torture or even capital punishment but something about "burning at the stake" does appeal to me emotionally in this case.

This was obviously a well planned theft and was, in fact, quite easy as all they had to do is steal the tow truck. I'm sure that everything was insured (i.e. the motorcycles had to be insured for the Cannonball ride) but the money doesn't make up for the actual loss. Not everything can be put into dollars and cents.

What is sad is that they apparently didn't have a GPS anti-theft tracking device on the truck. These are relatively inexpensive to purchase and law enforcement could have located the truck within minutes of learning it was stolen. Most big rigs have these today to prevent theft as well as being able to provide information to the trucking companies on where their trucks are located in real time. This is 20-20 hindsight of course but it is a lesson to be learned for the future.

post #26 of 27 Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Stolen bikes recovered.

Stolen Motorcycle Cannonball Harleys Recovered | Motorcycle Reviews, Forums, and News - AIMag.com

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #27 of 27 Old 09-25-2014, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
I don't advocate torture or even capital punishment but something about "burning at the stake" does appeal to me emotionally in this case.
I understand and respect people who cannot advocate harm.

God did say "Do not seek vengeance but let vengeance be mine. (roughly)

Then gave Bbally special skills to arrange personal meetings between the lord and the perpetrator.
StoneFree and jnhermann like this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page