post #11 of 19 Old 09-26-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
KRH

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Are you planning to ride or trailer to Sturgis? If you avoid freeways as much as possible (which I always recommend) it's at least a 1,200 mile trip each way from Indy (not sure where you live in Indiana) and that's probably a 4-5 day ride. I do recommend riding over trailering the motorcycle if at all possible. It's worth it for the experience.

You can FedEx stuff you'll need in Sturgis so you don't have to carry it on the M/C. If you rent a place ask them about accepting the shipment for you so that it will be there when you arrive. Most are very willing to do this usually for no charge (the Chip does charge for this service).
Right now that is the big debate!

Ride, or trailer part way...

We are weighing options. We live in Indy, so he says it's around 1100 miles each way.

I'd love to ride it all the way. His bike and my lack of riding experience are running us into questions. His bike currently hits the gas light about every 100 miles. So he may need a bigger tank before we can do it. But we shall see!

Would certainly be a great late honeymoon adventure to ride the whole way!
StoneFree likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post
Right now that is the big debate!

Ride, or trailer part way...

We are weighing options. We live in Indy, so he says it's around 1100 miles each way.

I'd love to ride it all the way. His bike and my lack of riding experience are running us into questions. His bike currently hits the gas light about every 100 miles. So he may need a bigger tank before we can do it. But we shall see!

Would certainly be a great late honeymoon adventure to ride the whole way!

A bit slower and longer if you stay off of the freeways riding but infinately more enjoyable. As I noted I'd plan on at least 1,200 miles and 4-5 days if you ride to Sturgis.

While the fuel light comes on at about 100 miles the range is over 165 on the highway but I always stop for fuel every 100 miles and suggest it. It's good to take a short break after that many miles of riding to avoid fatique.

You do have the option of riding there, then dropping the M/C off at any Harley dealer and they will ship it home for you. I believe that the cost is $500 but you'd need to check on that. I believe I read that in the HOG literature. Then you can fly home from wherever you drop the M/C off.

On a personal note I've found the journey to and from an event to be equal or better than the event itself. The sights I see and the people I meet on the highways and byways are one of the most enjoyable parts of any road trip I take. That and the actual riding is what it's really all about even when you make it to an event like Sturgis.

KRH likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-26-2014, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
You need to ride so you can buy the "I rode mine to Sturgis" patch. I will be there. It will be my third and last time going as a little of Sturgis goes a long way. I too am to old for the 24/7 party.
StoneFree and KRH like this.

post #14 of 19 Old 09-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl View Post
You need to ride so you can buy the "I rode mine to Sturgis" patch. I will be there. It will be my third and last time going as a little of Sturgis goes a long way. I too am to old for the 24/7 party.
You're right on that one. A little Sturgis does go a long way and the last time I was there was in 2006. About every 10 years is about all this old man feels is necessary. There are a lot of other M/C rallies that I feel a need to attend and I don't put all of my eggs in one basket.

Yes, to honestly wear the "I rode mine to Sturgis" you do have to actually ride there but, as I noted, you can ship your M/C home because there isn't a "I rode mine home from Sturgis" patch. LOL Riding to Sturgis garners a lot of respect from other riders because it's "about the journey and not the destination" which those of us that are hard-core riders respect. I only make it to where I'm going about 75% of the time because I often get side-tracked and I've never once regretted getting side-tracked on a road trip.

post #15 of 19 Old 09-27-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
"I trailered mine to Sturgis"

post #16 of 19 Old 09-27-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
KRH

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well, we have been discussing it today and we THINK we are going to ride!!

We conquered step 1 and got hubby his new seat. A mustang one for his 1200 nightster.

We plan to get a small trailer for him to pull as well, rather than getting him luggage and such...it ended up being more economical for us... So we are working on that.

We may not make it for the entire thing...but I think we are going....

Just have to see if I can get the time off work approved...he already has it!

I'm so stoked!!!
StoneFree likes this.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuy View Post
"I trailered mine to Sturgis"

Did you get the patch?

post #18 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Sturgis Bike Week 2015

Hello,
kind of resurrecting this thread since it has some good advice in it.
And asking the question,

"Is anyone riding to Sturgis???"

Personally, I will be riding up the week before and pulling out on Sunday, before the official start of the week. Riding up for the first time with an experienced friend. Its only 400 miles for us from Denver.
Lots of the older riders from around here go up the week before bike week or the week after to ride the rides in the Black Hills.
I hope to see another Street 750/500 while I am there.
Rock270 likes this.

Not all those who wander are lost.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-29-2015, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO WanderZest View Post
Hello,
kind of resurrecting this thread since it has some good advice in it.
And asking the question,

"Is anyone riding to Sturgis???"

Personally, I will be riding up the week before and pulling out on Sunday, before the official start of the week. Riding up for the first time with an experienced friend. Its only 400 miles for us from Denver.
Lots of the older riders from around here go up the week before bike week or the week after to ride the rides in the Black Hills.
I hope to see another Street 750/500 while I am there.
i'd like to go at least once some day.
but I don't think i'd survive over a thousand miles each way on my 750 though.
and I wont take my big rice burner to it and have to hide it....lol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page