Coolant way below fill level on new bike - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-04-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Coolant way below fill level on new bike

When taking my seat off last night to get rid of the seat strap, I noticed that my coolant was well below the fill level. It wasn't empty, but it was about in-between the bottom of the tank and the fill level (probably just less than a quarter full). The bike is about 3 months old and was ridden only 2-3 times a month.

Is it normal for the coolant to naturally evaporate that much in that amount of time? Or is it just likely that it wasn't filled properly to begin with? I've checked for leaks and couldn't see any signs.

Either way, looks like I need to fill it up. Can I just top it up with new coolant, or do I need to completely empty the tank first?

Thanks for your help, I'm learning things every day here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-05-2015, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
You need to check Cold and Upright.

HD has their own Coolant. Not sure if you can add anything else?? I would take it back to the dealer and have them check it.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 13 Old 11-05-2015, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmax1 View Post
You need to check Cold and Upright.

HD has their own Coolant. Not sure if you can add anything else?? I would take it back to the dealer and have them check it.
Thanks Tucsonmax1. The bike was both upright and cold when I checked (well, the bike hadn't been ridden in a while but where I keep my bike it gets a bit humid and warm, does that count for anything?).

I'll give my dealer a call tomorrow.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-05-2015, 05:31 AM

Garage
Yes and No. Yes the Water level rises when Hot. Hence the C and H lines on a cars bottle. No, Because its not hot enough to cause a level change.

If its really low, You might have a leak. Or the dealer didn't check it when delivered. You may be able to use some clean tap water. But I'd only do that if empty. As the Water raises the Freezing point. Wont protect it well in Winter

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 13 Old 11-05-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Do not use trap water. Trap water has minerals in it that will build up and calcify in your system. Only add distilled our de-ionized water in a cooling system. This is especially critical on vehicles that sit extended periods of time.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-05-2015, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaiCardenas View Post
When taking my seat off last night to get rid of the seat strap, I noticed that my coolant was well below the fill level. It wasn't empty, but it was about in-between the bottom of the tank and the fill level (probably just less than a quarter full). The bike is about 3 months old and was ridden only 2-3 times a month.

Is it normal for the coolant to naturally evaporate that much in that amount of time? Or is it just likely that it wasn't filled properly to begin with? I've checked for leaks and couldn't see any signs.

Either way, looks like I need to fill it up. Can I just top it up with new coolant, or do I need to completely empty the tank first?

Thanks for your help, I'm learning things every day here!

evaporation shouldn't be a problem in your case. I'd look in the bikes manual and see what antifreeze to buy, or buy the antifreeze from the HD stealer, I wouldn't put just any antifreeze in it unless I knew for sure it was ok for the type of radiator we have, ...then fill it to the cold level while the bike's engine is cold and bike is level or standing up.

also look for any signs of leaks, if so I'd take it to the dealer and have it checked out.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-05-2015, 07:49 PM

Garage
On a few of my previous "Bikes" Honda Silver Wing and Yamaha Majesty I used Prestone 50/50. The Gold stuff. And never had any coolant issues. HD has what reminds me of Dexcool. Which I flushed out of a previous car. 08 Malibu. Again I used the Prestone Gold.

2018 Custom 1200
post #8 of 13 Old 10-26-2016, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My Street 750 was not filled by factory or dealer. The dealer did give me some antifreeze to top it off thinking I may have a leak, but that wasn't the problem. Someone just forgot to check it, only took about a pint to bring it up to the mark.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-26-2016, 10:03 AM

Garage
I had to add 4oz. of HD coolant to mine. I think they are Under filling from the factory. Possibly from bleeding air out of the system. As the Radiator Cap is underneath the gas tank.

2018 Custom 1200
post #10 of 13 Old 10-26-2016, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Mine had a hole in the hose that runs from the radiator cap to the overflow bottle. I found it pretty early on when adding my security system to my bike. Put some electrical tape over the hole (was a slice in the hose), until the dealer could replace the hose (about 1,000 miles later). With that hole in there, some coolant could leak out each time the engine heated up, and the engine would just suck air when it cooled down, rather than draw from the overflow bottle. Bad bad bad. The tape worked great though, it's not a pressurized hose.

2016 Street 5̶0̶0̶ 750

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page