Snapped Clutch Cable (missing ball) - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Snapped Clutch Cable (missing ball)

My clutch cable snapped at the lever. It looks like the little ball fell off. What do I do? No one carries an extra clutch cable on them at the dealership. This is the only way I can get around, me and my little 500 Street. I'm about to hit google and youtube, but I thought I'd throw this out there in our little 500 HD world to see if anyone has had something similar and hence suggestions.

This is the second time. The first time it was covered under warranty. I'm waiting to call the Manager at this dealership to get them to stand behind their work.

Some nice sport bike rider saw me struggling, and we both pulled over on the side of the road. He gave me a crash course in using the thread to just make do for now.

Any suggestions? Like he suggested getting a weight that you use on a fishing line. Even something to get me googling in the right direction would be appreciated. I don't want to get pulled over, and of course I want to be safe. I wouldn't even know what size fishing line weight to get now. Too big, too small. I just happen to not have any tools, though pliers couldn't be that expensive or something to mash it down.

This other dealership where I'm near wants $170 to fix it. I just so happen to be extremely cash strapped, and it's nuts that it was just fixed under warranty. Clutch cables never snap, so I'm really ticked this has happened to me twice now.

In short, how can I fix my snapped clutch cable with missing ball to hold me over? If I could show you the pic, I would, but I don't have access at the moment. Thanking you in advance.

Greg Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone figured Why they keep breaking?? My 15 has almost 8k Miles, Never had that problem.

If you know the Length, I would call Dennis Kirk. They're pretty good about bike parts.

2019 Hyundai Kona SE Surf Blue

2018 Custom 1200 Black Tempest
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2017, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Had a thought. Auto Parts Store. Help section. I remember seeing a Cable End. Think it was part of a Universal Cable kit.

Did you check the Lever to see if there is a Sharp edge cutting the ends off?

2019 Hyundai Kona SE Surf Blue

2018 Custom 1200 Black Tempest

post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2017, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I ended up just having them order one from Milwaukee and it took about 5 days. The hardest part about the install was getting the tank off without leaking gas everywhere since I had just filled up the day before it broke.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, ya'll for your replies. I just now saw them. I ended up having to put a makeshift one on there for a bit. I went to a HD recommended shop that had a cable guy. I think I walked away paying $65 total. I paid $15 for the emergency work beforehand to hold me over.

Greg Martin
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I am going to check an auto parts store just for future reference in case it happens again or just go to my emergency mechanic again.

Greg Martin
post #7 of 8 Old 06-13-2017, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
To break one clutch cable is strange but chit happens. To have more than one break means one thing there is another problem that needs to be tracked down.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Victory bikes are somewhat notorious for broken clutch cables, so much so that there's a "Sav-Ur-Ride" emergency clutch cable kit that many people report riding on for years on end after the original cable snaps. There is much discussion on those boards about cable lube--though I haven't seen similar discussion here (perhaps the bikes are still too new?).

In this case, maybe there are some burrs left over from assembly or parts machining that is pinching the cable right near the pivot that is causing the problem, especially if this has happened twice and it's not the cable itself that is snapping somewhere in the middle. I would definitely consider investing in a small can of cable lube once you get the new clutch line installed!

2018 Harley Heritage Softail Classic
2017 Harley Road King
2015 Honda CTX700 DCT

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page