Speedometer (odometer) error - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-29-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Speedometer (odometer) error

Seems to me, by seat of the pants and LIDAR speed zone meters, that my speedometer indicates about 10% fast. I assume the odometer incorporates the same error. Anyone checked their speedometer with a GPS or similar unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-01-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
duh!

Wow, somebody could have told me the FP3 can calibrate the speedometer...

Did it this morning and it was only off by .6%. Guess I need something to calibrate the seat of my pants. After the auto tune, my mileage is ~65mpg including the corrected odometer.
Solo750owner likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
Wow, somebody could have told me the FP3 can calibrate the speedometer...

Did it this morning and it was only off by .6%. Guess I need something to calibrate the seat of my pants. After the auto tune, my mileage is ~65mpg including the corrected odometer.
How do you calibrate with the FP3?

post #4 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
FP3 spedo calibrate

Anytime after you have download a map choose:
Edit Maps->General->Calibrate speedometer
Then touch Calibrate and the FP3 will respond Waiting.

With GPS location enabled on your phone, ride over 60mph at as constant a speed as possible for about 1/2 mile. While you're riding the phone will display GPS speed and speedometer speed. You don't need to look at it though. When you've gone far and fast enough, the FP3 will calculate and display the correction factor. The next time you download a map it will program the corrected Pulses-Per-Mile in the bikes control unit.

Download your map (existing or new) with Edit Maps and the lightning bolt.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:

With GPS location enabled on your phone, ride over 60mph at as constant a speed as possible for about 1/2 mile. While you're riding the phone will display GPS speed and speedometer speed. You don't need to look at it though. When you've gone far and fast enough, the FP3 will calculate and display the correction factor. The next time you download a map it will program the corrected Pulses-Per-Mile in the bikes control unit.

Excellent find. I had no idea.

Is there a similar method to calibrate the MPG? I find that the estimated fuel economy is off by a good 10% or more, and would love to be able to calibrate it to be more accurate.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:

Excellent find. I had no idea.

Digging around in there, I found an option to calibrate the MPG... I find that the estimated fuel economy is off by a good 10% or more, and would love to be able to calibrate it to be more accurate. I changed the number, we'll see how that works out, but it seems "iffy"; the default number was like 4400, and in changing it it let me enter only a maximum of 3000. Don't know how that'll work, but I'll find out.
ButterSmooth likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
If we all dig enough...

I've seen the Mileage correction option, but never fooled with it. I don't use my phone for sensor data while I'm riding -- got enough to do keeping out of trouble. What I'd like to find is a menu tree for the FP3, so we could see all the options. Doubt it's out there anywhere so I'll probably start on one myself.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
My Speedometer is pretty accurate. As confirmed by GPS and Traffic Speed signs. The Only weird thing is, My Odometer, Odometer shows one Mileage. The FP3 shows a Different Odometer reading.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #9 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Absolute or incremental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmax1 View Post
My Speedometer is pretty accurate. As confirmed by GPS and Traffic Speed signs. The Only weird thing is, My Odometer, Odometer shows one Mileage. The FP3 shows a Different Odometer reading.
Most if not all odometers are different then the FP3 readings, in terms of the absolute number of miles shown. But, if you drive n miles on one odometer does the other indicate the same change? Calibrating the speedometer should correct the odometer and get them in agreement for incremental miles. Absolute miles will never line up--there's always going to be an offset between them. The difference is meaningless.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
My Speedo and Garmin GPS register the same speed. My previous bike, 2010 Majesty, had a slight error above 50 MPH. Tech at my Chapel was stumped. V&H never got back to me as to why the difference.between the FP3 and the Odometer.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page