Texas State Inspection with Engine Light - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Texas State Inspection with Engine Light

My engine light is on, and I have no idea what is wrong. I need my state inspection done by the end of the month. With the check engine light do you think I could still pass my vehicle inspection to get my registration renewed?

Greg Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2018, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Don't know the rules in TX. But here in NJ, Motorcycles don't have State Inspection. A car with the Engine Light on will Fail. Good Possibility that yours will fail. Best bet would be to check at a Motorcycle shop. Any shop if you ask a generic question about it.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I went to Tips for Motorcycles | Texas Vehicle Safety & Emissions Inspections and what they say is that "If a warning light is lit, it could indicate a problem that could cause your motorcycle to fail its inspection and could indicate a safety concern." That sounds like it isn't an automatic failure to have the light lit if the tailpipe emissions are within bounds, but I wouldn't bet on that.

At another site it was stated that if the check engine light doesn't come on briefly during engine start it is an automatic failure.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750

post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2018, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregamart View Post
My engine light is on, and I have no idea what is wrong. I need my state inspection done by the end of the month. With the check engine light do you think I could still pass my vehicle inspection to get my registration renewed?
I was stationed in Texas back in the early 90s and have to say it depends on the inspection station.

As far as the bike making the light come on, there should be a way to access the code it is throwing. I had a 99 FLHTPI and there was a method to get the bike to flash the engine light in a pattern. Then I would look up the pattern. Your nearby HD shop should be able to tell you how to access that without charging a fee.

R-Rated Customs
post #5 of 6 Old 02-25-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Rated View Post
I was stationed in Texas back in the early 90s and have to say it depends on the inspection station.

As far as the bike making the light come on, there should be a way to access the code it is throwing. I had a 99 FLHTPI and there was a method to get the bike to flash the engine light in a pattern. Then I would look up the pattern. Your nearby HD shop should be able to tell you how to access that without charging a fee.
i'll talk to them at HD. The station I talked to said not the engine light, but the blinkers.

Greg Martin
post #6 of 6 Old 02-25-2018, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Every State is Different. NJ does not have Inspection. However, A Police Officer could pull you over and "Inspect". Most don't. Reason is, They don't know Bikes.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page