4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 08-28-2018, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cheers for all the info - I ordered this off eBay - am hoping it will do the trick

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Eng...72.m2749.l2649

Botty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 03-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I know this is an older thread, but for sake of not starting another and fragmenting information I'm reviving it. I'm looking over the service manual and really want to pop the valve cover and check the valve lash. The service manual is saying to replace the valve cover bolts. At 100+ for a set of bolts, I'm hesitant to bust it open. Question is, if anyone who's worked on their valves, did you have to replace the bolts? The gasket I have no issue with. Just find it hard to believe that bolts are disposable...

"St Barbara of the Artillery Corp - Be at the bursting of the doors of doom, And in the dark deliver us"
post #13 of 13 Old 03-17-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hi
Well I took mine off and put it back with the same bolts as previous, I did use a new gasket. Have put a few miles on it since and no leaks / issues.

Money is tight with me as I am an old git with a small pension, I don't agree with cutting corners and what my bike needs my bike will get but where I can save a few pounds I will and these bolts would have cost around 18.

Like you, I really can't see the need to replace the bolts as they seemed in good condition and providing you torque them down properly they should be ok.

If they were bolts that held a major piece of high revving equipment in place I probably would have replaced them but at the end of the day all that they do is hold the valve covers in place so I really don't think it is necessary to replace them - others may disagree but then it's my bike eh.

I don't wish to appear cynical but perhaps this is why HD services cost so much ?

Botty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page