LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Blinker Wire Cut Again

I was shopping at the grocery store. I walked out, and I noticed my wire to the same blinker, the blue one this time, was snapped or snipped. My mechanic moved way out of town. I don't recall what people said to do. I have to get my inspection done this month, so I can do my registration. Any suggestions or videos?

The wires on the right side had been loose as the stock tape had come off or something. For me, it was obvious. I noticed because the tape was looking unbundled or something. I use a atv type cover recently, so I don't know if that messed it up.

I was riding around town hours later. I got on the freeway. I was doing about 70mph, and all of a sudden my mirror started turning towards me. I don't know if someone was tampering with my bike or what. I left this job, but I always felt uneasy having to leave my bike out of my sight. My place isn't the safest either imho.

I'm trying to remember what my mechanic did. I stood right there and watched him, but it was a while ago. I think it was easy, because he had strippers and the coupling and everything. I texted him a pic, but I haven't heard back from him. Maybe now is the time to find another sidewalk mechanic for myself.

One of the Harley riders in my bike lot freaks out, when I even say I let other people touch my bike. He's a diy. I may ask him to fix it. Or this electrician that was fixing his starter. He'd be ideal. I think people just drop their bikes in my lot sometimes for God only know why. I saw a Canam today in the lot all of a sudden. Maybe she may have tampered with my ride. Also, I do park in high pedestrian areas out of convenience and anti-theft.

I was so bummed. I checked the blinker and nothing doing. Besides registration, I also don't want to have a crash and die, so I do want this to be done. Also, I can't afford a traffic ticket, as I'm deferred adjudication until the middle of this month. Cops love our bikes too apparently.

The riding weather, 70's, has been amazing for the past few days, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts. I remembered to subscribe instantly, so I can get back to everyone better.

=================
Any suggestions or videos?

Greg Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-07-2019, 12:43 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Splicing wires

I took a tumble early on and broke a turn signal. It just dangled for a while, and by the time I put it back on one of the wires had worn through. It's a simple matter of finding both ends of the break and getting them connected to each other again.

Do an online search for "splicing wires" and you will get all kinds of ideas.

The best case scenario is that you have enough wire that you can strip 1/2" of insulation from each of the loose ends and splice them together. Twisting on a wire nut (Scotch Lock) would work, but you can just wrap the connection with electrical tape. To do this, both wires come into the splice from the same direction.

Another way to handle this is a "suitcase" connector that is a plastic clamshell with blades inside that cut through the insulation and make contact with the wires. It does save you from having to strip the insulation but I don't really trust these. There isn't much surface area making the connection, but it would probably hold together through your inspection.

Probably the best connection would be to strip the wire ends, slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over one end and past the stripped area. Splice the wires and solder them together. Slide the heat shrink tubing over the splice and heat it to shrink it. Do a lineman's splice for this so that the wires are inline with each other.

One possible problem is that you don't have enough slack in the wire to do the splice. In that case you have three options. You can completely replace the wire completely, replace only the wire on one end of the break with a slightly longer wire and splice as above, or you can add a short piece in the middle by doing two splices.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
post #3 of 9 Old 02-07-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I like the suitcase idea.

I want to say my mechanic may have done something similar. I know there's a bulge bundled with electric tape from the previous time. I know he may have spliced, as well. I think in that instance I had some wire to spare somehow. Here it doesn't seem to be the case.

Really, I just need something to get me past inspection for now.

Greg Martin

post #4 of 9 Old 02-07-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
i couldn't upload this yesterday. maybe this will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190205_151937.jpg (246.7 KB, 10 views)

Greg Martin
post #5 of 9 Old 02-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
I would suggest a Heat Shrink Butt Connector for the Easiest repair. You can get them at any Hardware Store. Red ones should be fine. Then just tape up the harness. I did that with a Starter wire that got damaged once.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #6 of 9 Old 02-08-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Bro. I'll look into it.

Greg Martin
post #7 of 9 Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
any suggestions on the size? i'm assuming the red is a particular gauge? I'll just need to clamp those down? I almost bought the blue today at walmart. I was looking for that suitcase connector for starters. I really don't want to touch anything just connect them to get the state inspection for now.

Greg Martin
post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
There was a pep boys by my storage. I may run by there tomorrow. I like the concept of me doing nothing to connect the two wires, and the suitcase at first blush seems to do the trick.

By the way, I was riding down the freeway with my finger holding my mirror in place. I got on the Expressway to play it safe. I didn't want it to get too loose and fall off, which has happened. I was near Harley. I just ran over there. The service department at Adam Smith Harley Davidson is so nice that they fixed it for free. That's the second time they've done that to me. Some malicious people just like to hit my mirrors loose. Those guys are cool in the Service Dept at Texas Harley.

Greg Martin
post #9 of 9 Old 02-14-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I have a pic. It's fixed. I ran into my neighbor. He was real nice. He does collision work. He fixed it for free. He used the red shrink connectors. He wanted to solder it, but he was missing a part to his soldering tool.

It was cool to watch him use a cigar torch to make the wire cover loose to pull it off.

I peeled off that tape and that's the color my mechanic had used on the other break. I'll try and put a pic up of the finished product. It should at least get me through state inspection.

Greg Martin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page