Moving with only a Motorcycle - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Moving with only a Motorcycle

I'm thinking about moving from Dallas to San Antonio. How the **** am I supposed to move with just a motorcycle? Last time I rented a small U-Haul truck and towed my motorcycle behind in a trailer. I also had a scooter back there at the time. Now, I won't have that problem. It was terrifying. I did that one from Houston to Dallas.

Do you have any other suggestions? I don't have that much stuff. I was thinking about renting a SUV and putting my bike on a trailer again. I just want to hurry up and get down there, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money.

If I get an offer soon, I'll have to move quick. Hence, my question.

Greg Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
It is called a POD. They drop it off you load ithey ship to your new place when you want it there.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
You haven't given us a whole lot to go on here. "I don't have that much stuff" may mean that you can dump the clothes from your dresser and closet into a duffle bag lashed to the back of the bike. It might take a couple of trips. It could mean that you have just a little bit of furniture, in which case you are going to have to beg, borrow or rent something bigger than the bike.

What's the biggest thing you have and what's the smallest vehicle that item would fit in? That's going to be the limiting factor. Is that large object something you can store and come back for at a later date or possibly just dispose of it and buy another one at your destination?

Do you have a buddy or family that will help you move? Maybe they have a truck or car that will work, maybe they are more comfortable than you are with driving the U-Haul.

I believe that U-Haul does something along the lines of the POD's as well.

U-Haul and other companies will rent pickup trucks and cargo vans in addition to the box trucks and trailers. One of those would probably be easier to drive than the mini-mover. I found the smallest U-Haul truck to be a bit unsteady the last time I rented one, and that was without a trailer on behind.

Check other car and truck rental companies in your area as well. You may be able to load the motorcycle in the back of a rental pickup and pack your other belongings around it.

ABF, a less than truck load (LTL) freight carrier, has their U-Pack service. Other truck lines do as well. They drop off an empty semi-trailer and you load cargo in the nose. You lock a moveable bulkhead in behind your belongings and they haul it away. They finish loading with cargo headed your direction, take that trailer to your destination city, unload their stuff, then drop the trailer at your new location for unloading. I believe they will work door to door or terminal to terminal if your origin or destination won't let them park a trailer. I've seen advertising on other trucks that their companies do the same thing.

Can you ship some of your belongings parcel post or UPS? That also gets expensive, but depending on the quantity of stuff and the size of the largest objects may be a viable option.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver

post #4 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Assuming we are working with a tight budget.

Ride the bike to the Riverwalk area. Park it somewhere safe. Enjoy Margaritas. Call Uber.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 10:00 PM

Then, Southwest Airlines. Call a friend to pick you up at the airport.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
A POD is a great idea. Or just rent a small U-haul truck big enough to fit you and your bike, and load the bike in it with plenty of ratchet straps and drive really carefully.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-03-2019, 12:19 AM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
It is called a POD. They drop it off you load ithey ship to your new place when you want it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
A POD is a great idea. Or just rent a small U-haul truck big enough to fit you and your bike, and load the bike in it with plenty of ratchet straps and drive really carefully...
U-Haul has their U-Box, which is supposed to be less expensive than a POD because it's smaller. I priced having one loaded in Dallas and moved to San Antonio. it came out to around $700. That cost may vary depending upon your specific end points and dates.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
post #8 of 16 Old 03-06-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
sorry. idk why it's not giving me instant notifications. pod is an awesome idea. i'm just on a budget. i looked into uhaul and a trailer. it was more money than i wanted to spend.

san antonio is 5 hours away. for some reason, i thought it was only 3 like austin. big miscalculation on my part. i'm from houston, so i don't automatically know.

an extended stay hotel without a kitchenette full of stuff if that helps to answer some follow-up questions.

i'll have to check my notes. the uhaul van with the bike in there with my stuff might not be a bad idea only those small ones don't have ramps.

i looked into renting trucks. you can look at carental.com or i called enterprise. you can rent a truck, but truck rentals like pick-ups don't have trailer hitches on the back of them, which really sucked. that would've been perfect.

i'm still in limbo. i'm now kind of quietly rooting to just stay up here and revisit this later. i've hemorrhaged so much money looking for work moving is getting to be more unlikely.

a buddy with a truck has moved way out of town. i could have borrowed his truck; got my stuff down there; left my bike with him. then just come back with the truck and got my bike to go back down there. he's just way far away now.

this is to bartend on the riverwalk or in their surrounding resorts. i've gotten job fair emails, and i finally just got a direct call last night. i pull this off; i'll have that margarita on the riverwalk.

Greg Martin

Last edited by gregamart; 03-06-2019 at 09:00 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-06-2019, 09:26 PM

While not the best option have you considered the Greyhound bus? Ride to San Antonio. Park at Riverwalk. Take bus back. One way truck rental back to San Antonio.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-06-2019, 09:27 PM

Or rent a self store in Dallas. Pack what you can on the bike. Go back for your stuff when you can afford it

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page