Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

cutting out

5K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  thewhitegorilla 
#1 ·
I left the key on overnight and the battery was nearly dead the next morning, I had filled up at a gas station that I don't normally go to on the way home. Anyway after I charged the battery it didnt run right cutting out and acting like a carburated bike with trash in the tank. I was wondering is there a filter in the tank and how hard is it to get to? I just don't see it being electrical . I believe the battery going down from leaving the key on and having to recharge it was just a coincidence, It will clear up at highway speeds but then cuts out again. I have already run another tank of fuel through it, any ideas?
thagorilla

#3 ·
Im going through the problems in the book, I checked the some of the electrical connections, tomorrow I will take the plastic piece out so I can see the battery. I bought 2 new spark plugs and a fuel pump gasket today, so if need be I can drain and drop the fuel pump. The spark plugs have 27 k miles on them, and were one of the first things on the possible fixes in the book. I will do them first, then then drop the pump if necessary. I will keep this updated to help the next guy.

#4 ·
I had Issues with mine. Start and Stall when cold. Never happened if I used Sunoco, Or a Top Tier fuel(Exxon/Mobil). QuickChek premium ran fine. Try putting a small amount of FI Cleaner in the tank. Lucas works good, Or Seafoam works as well. Mechanic in a Bottle is strong stuff.

#5 ·
Ive got new plugs a pump gasket and some seafoam. My plan for today is change plugs ad seafoam and run some gas through her and see what is happening. If still not clearing up then its drop the tank and look at the pump and strainer, then its the injectors. I will post what I find out.

#6 ·
I changed the plugs, the specified gap in the manual .032-.035 is where I set them but noticing the old ones are .042. anyway the battery will not recharge completely 12.01 vdc should be more like 13 so Im replacing the 4 year old battery with a new one. As it it is it will not start at all. I will replace the battery tomorrow and post back.

#7 ·
It was the battery, After I changed the plugs and the battery, I tried it and not realizing there is a quick connect for the gas under the tank on the left hand side was off and it surprised me. I kept thinking fuel as the plugs were bone dry, and sure enough the quick connect was in place but not connected. Everything seems good now reving without cutting out.
thagorilla

#8 ·
Im going to button up everything and take about a 50 mile run to see if everything is ok. BTW changing the battery is a PITA a lot of plastic has to come off and its hard to get connectors apart and back in place. IDK what the dealer charges but it would have been worth $100 labor to get it done. No special tools but just a lot of pulling and twisting plastic. the battery must come out the rh side. I did discover a small leak and that the surge coolant tank had only about 1/4 inch in it.

#11 ·
I lifted the tank but not completely removed it. On the shifter side there is a quick connect. Hold the hose and push up on the quick connect housing and it comes loose like a compressed air line coupler. But after a week of good performance I'm having the same problem again!

#13 ·
I'm going to remove tank drain and get the pump out to test it and clean everything. The bike has run great for 27k , but I'm thinking of trading it. Sadly just about every hd Im interested in has a history of problems, and friends with new bikes are spending time in the shop for warranty repairs like transmission bearings with less than 10k.

#14 ·
I did check and confirm good gas and flow from the pump but still there are problems. Further examination revealed that a small amount of oil is being discharged from the air filter, so the crankcase is not being vented. Its off to the dealer and I believe if I can get the deal worked out, I m going to trade her in on a Heritage classic 114, A lot of people talk smack about these bikes, but having had many HD's over the years I can say they are pretty good little bikes. I have enjoyed 4 years of fun with it, mostly trouble free. It is what HD needs to do to get in more younger riders that shy away due to expense and heavy powerful machines that may intimidate them.
thewhitegorilla

#15 ·
Well. I did in fact trade my Street in on a rawhide and black 19 heritage. What a difference! from no power to a 114! The sad thing is the dealer only gave me $4000 for the bike, and that was very generous and in fact a "paper work" move to get me in to the new Heritage Classic with the payment I was looking for. I will miss the little black bike a little bit too, but the Heritage will keep me from getting love sick. I enjoyed the little bike and it kept me going for nearly 27000 miles. I would like to say thanks to the forum for having me and also thank you to those that interacted with me by reading and replying to my posts and answered my questions. This will be my last post. Enjoy life fellows and keep the rubber side down and the shinny side up!
thagorilla

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.