Wierd Throttle response Randomly happeneing - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By marian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wierd Throttle response Randomly happening

I'm experiencing random issues that i can't put a finger on what is causing it. I have an HD street 500 and i been experiencing strange throttle response issues very randomly it scares the **** out of me when it happens. Today it happened again i noticed right away while holding the clutch on first gear and beginning to give the bike some throttle that it just was not responding it almost seemed like it wanted to respond but it would like die out, only when adjusting the throttle to a way higher level could i even get the bike to rev up enough for me to loosen the clutch and force it move. If i don't rev it high it will try to rev but basically die down again which ends up scaring me if i release the clutch while it does so. Sometimes turning the bike totally off when experiencing these random occurrences fixes it. but not all the time. I just filled her up yesterday so i dont think that its because its low on gas. I have taken it to the Harley dealership where i bought the bike and they make me feel shitty as if its a user error but now i know for sure its definitely not me. I have found certain issues with other Harley that experience this weird no response on the throttle issue and they call it "LIMP MODE". I'm wondering if this is what is happening to my bike. It has happened to me randomly on different gears as well which makes it all the weirder. Today i definitely tested it well when it started to happen to me. I usually would get scared to even drive the bike but this time as soon as it happened i just held the clutch down and tested the throttle only. and realized that it just wouldn't respond until i hit a very high rev. any help would be great thanks guys.

Last edited by James Gonzalez; 04-08-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2015, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I had a similar problem when the bike was new. According to Harley dealer, some vacuum line under the gas tank was not connected properly. Someone on this forum experienced similar issues and their HD dealer found out that the spark plug gap was wrong. Basically, behavior like you described could be caused by many things. Your HD dealer need to reproduce your problem in order to find the cause and fix it. You need to explain to the dealer that you are not making it up, leave your bike with the dealer until they reproduce it. Just my opinion.
James Gonzalez likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Very Random when it happens

Its very random when it decides to happen, for the most part the bike operates well i would want to say 90% of the time i ride it, but i also drive it with an extra caution due to experiencing those random occurrences. I have noticed that the times it does happen is usually after i rode the bike for at least 35 to 40 minutes and then turn it off, when turning it back on and using it again to go back home is usually when it decided to randomly sputter on me. The dealership took my bike in and the service rep basically told me i was flogging the bike and that he could replicate that same issue if he wanted too by just driving the bike too slow. Which really upset ted me since i know its not even about easing in to the clutch as he assumed i was doing wrong. The bike would just struggle on revving up, which at the time i didn't realize was the issue so i kept trying to ease in on the clutch and scare the sh*t out of me in the process since the bike would begin to move but then violent cut off on me, this has happened to me in several left turn traffic light crossings. Only way to avoid an accident was for me to ride the clutch half way while revving the bike high just to get it to budge until i can switch gears. Oh and if this helps It started to happen to me around 850 miles

post #4 of 7 Old 04-10-2015, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
maybe have a look at the lag and leap thread . sounds similar .
post #5 of 7 Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbull View Post
maybe have a look at the lag and leap thread . sounds similar .

it just happened to me again and i'm beginning to think it is the lag and leap issue. but mine does it to me, even with a good amount of gas in the bike. i'm just frustrated with the harley dealership because if they cant recreate the issue then they think i'm looney.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gonzalez View Post
it just happened to me again and i'm beginning to think it is the lag and leap issue. but mine does it to me, even with a good amount of gas in the bike. i'm just frustrated with the harley dealership because if they cant recreate the issue then they think i'm looney.
As you mentioned it generally happens after you've been riding, shut it off, and then fire it up to go again. Arrange with the service department so that you can ride it, then bring it in, let it wait however long you typically wait and then have them ride it. You might have to do this a few times because, as you noted, it's very periodic but the service department should be willing to work with you on the issue.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2016, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know it's an old thread but there's a campaign out to fix this issue, air gets into the fuel at the fuel pump mounting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page