Anybody get an Engine check light - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anybody get an Engine check light

Just got my new Street 500 last night. Upon leaving the dealer my amber engine check light came on. The bike had no acceleration and I limped home using full throttle. This morning the bike was hard starting. The starter would get the engine going and then it would die. I finally kept goosing the throttle and got it to run. I decided I would take the side streets to work and after work take it straight to the dealer. After about 3 or 4 blocks I stopped at a red light and the bike almost died and then immediatly reved very high. I was looking to stab the kill switch when it came down to an idle. The engine check light went out. I pulled away from the stop light and the acceleration was jerky. After a few blocks it seemed to smooth out some. Its still a little quirky. If when I leave work tonight and the engine light is back on I'm heading to the dealer with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, I hope this has turned out well for you. Sounds like a pretty scary story with some severe problem. I would get it to the dealer as soon as I could and not to go back in time on you, but limping home sounds like a good time to limp right back to the dealer. If you are like me, though you picked the bike up right at closing time and returning it to a closed dealer wouldn't have helped very much.
Again, I hope this has turned out well and looking forward to hearing what the dealer said/did to fix it.
Epijay likes this.

Not all those who wander are lost.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-01-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Left work and the bike would not accelerate and top speed was about 40 mph. Had to take streets to the dealer. When I got to stop lights the bike would stall most of the time. Somtimes it would rev out until I hit the kill switch. Lot of P.O.'d drivers behind me. A couple of times the bike would suddenly full on accelerate in traffic. Not good with those mushy brakes. Didn't make it accross town to the dealer before they closed. Will take it back on my day off.

post #4 of 19 Old 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM

Garage
Seriously, sounds unsafe. I recommend trailer / truck to get it to the dealer. Sounds terrifying and like you may be damaging something by riding this in this condition. Be safe, Be safe, Be safe. Not so worried about the PO'd other people, but don't need them accelerating over the top of you, or you smashing into them.
I hope the day off comes soon.

post #5 of 19 Old 05-02-2015, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrocket View Post
Left work and the bike would not accelerate and top speed was about 40 mph. Had to take streets to the dealer. When I got to stop lights the bike would stall most of the time. Somtimes it would rev out until I hit the kill switch. Lot of P.O.'d drivers behind me. A couple of times the bike would suddenly full on accelerate in traffic. Not good with those mushy brakes. Didn't make it accross town to the dealer before they closed. Will take it back on my day off.
Riding the motorcycle was foolish. Call the dealer and have them pick it up.

Static07 likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Have the dealership come get it. Do not ride it anywhere until fixed
Static07 likes this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #7 of 19 Old 05-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I'm going to agree with the advice: don't ride it. Have them come get it and get it fixed. Any riding you do could be something the dealership could point to in order to get out of covering warranty work.
Static07 likes this.

www.youtube.com/howlonwheels
Motorcycle Film Festival
1973 CB500 Four
2015 HD Street 750
post #8 of 19 Old 05-18-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Dropped off the bike at the dealer on Tuesday. Couldn't pick it up until my day off which is Monday. I asked them if they changed any parts. They said no. They didn't find anything wrong. I rode it home following my wife in the truck. It seamed normal. The next day I took it out in town and in the middle of traffic it happened again, no power, no acceleration. Al I could do is thread my way to the right lane and when I stopped the bike stalled. It started up and I rode toward home. The bike had no acceleration and wouldn't go past about 40 mph. Sometimes it would sputter and lurch forward suddenly and then go back to no acceleration. That night I brought it back to the dealer. The bike now has 65 miles on it and its second visit to the shop.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-18-2015, 10:43 PM

Garage
Its got to be something

Glad to hear from you. I hope they figure it out for you this time. I think I wouldn't take it back from them without seeing a few more miles on the odometer. At least as many as it took you to have the problem occur. Just my thought on it, anyway.

post #10 of 19 Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
What is the build date on your bike? Not knowing what your dealer did and build date you may have a loose fuel inlet filter connection at the main pump body. Due you know if they checked fuel pressure or what codes where stored?

Depending on your build date TT442 (Tech Tip) may apply (2015 Street Performance Concerns) as stated above with loose fuel inlet filter.

Chris
Irie likes this.

Harley-Davidson Service Advisor
Street 500/750 Safety Recalls/Product Programs/Non-Compliance Recalls:
-2015 HARLEY-DAVIDSON STREET FUEL TANK - SAFETY RECALL 0161
-2015 STREET LICENSE PLATE REFLECTOR REGULATORY NON-COMPLIANCE RECALL CODE 0620
-PRODUCT PROGRAM 0919: 2015 STREET MODELS RIGHT SIDE RIDER FOOT CONTROL MOUNTING SCREWS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page