LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-18-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Front Brake Buzzing?

Hello Guys! I noticed a strange sound the other day and thought I'd ask here first.

When I apply the front brake at speeds above 20mph I notice a buzzing sound. It gets quieter as I slow and I can no longer hear it below 20. The brake seems to function just fine so maybe I'm worried about nothing but when it comes to brakes, better safe than sorry.
Trent likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-18-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Mine does it as well. No clue what the **** it is. The only electrical connection should be the the closing of the contact to allow current to run through for the brake light.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-18-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
Mine does it as well. No clue what the **** it is. The only electrical connection should be the the closing of the contact to allow current to run through for the brake light.
That's exactly what it sounds like, a relay buzzing! But if it's being fed by 12VDC it should not buzz. Only if it's getting some sort of AC voltage.

If I get some time this weekend I might track down my meter (moved recently and everything is mixed up) and see what the voltage on the relay is.

Glad I'm not hearing things!

post #4 of 19 Old 06-20-2015, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I've noticed this too

I hear the buzzing too. Meant to ask the service fellas about it yesterday but forgot in my excitement to hit the road. I'm hoping it's just a quirk of the bike & the brakes are fine - curious to see what develops in this thread.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-20-2015, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 750 buzzes as well.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-20-2015, 12:40 PM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Mine buzzes as I accelerate, not the breaks but the engine. Like a high end tight rattle.

"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."
post #7 of 19 Old 06-21-2015, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 500 makes the same buzzing sound when I apply the front brakes. I'll be interested to see if someone has an answer on this.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Honestly, the way everyone is describing the buzzing symptoms, it's very difficult to pinpoint the cause. The front wheel buzzes between a certain speed range and its normal. I faced the same thing and went to the service advisor at the local HD dealer and he explained that this is normal and It's nothing to do with brakes. Guys, just check out your bikes and let's discuss again. Maybe we will be able either agree when and under which circumstances the bike buzzes or there is a real problem with your bikes.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-22-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYEDEE View Post
Honestly, the way everyone is describing the buzzing symptoms, it's very difficult to pinpoint the cause. The front wheel buzzes between a certain speed range and its normal. I faced the same thing and went to the service advisor at the local HD dealer and he explained that this is normal and It's nothing to do with brakes. Guys, just check out your bikes and let's discuss again. Maybe we will be able either agree when and under which circumstances the bike buzzes or there is a real problem with your bikes.
I'm not sure it's a problem. I hear it when I pull in the front brake lever and as I slow down it gets quieter until about 20mph, at which point I can no longer hear it.

My brakes seem to function just fine. I can stop good and there is no grabbing. I only brought it up because if it is abnormal, I want to find out while I'm under warranty.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
It is definitely an electrical buzz. I built PTA welding systems for a couple years, electrical buzzing is completely different from a mechanical buzz. My only guess would be it's at higher speeds/rpms due to excess electrical current. Not necessarily excess in a way to cause damage, but excess in a more than it needs manor.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page