• 1 Post By oandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-12-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
my new/used 750 "issues".

hi folks, I know the first rule for trying to find answers in an internet forum is to use the search feature.
The issue I just found I have doesn't come up in any searches.

My bike has 6 k miles on it.

I just went for my 1st ride after getting it home from the bike shop where I bought it. (not a HD dealer)
As I get home after riding maybe 1/2 hour I see the tiny little red oil light is flashing! I'm sure it wasn't flashing until near the end of the ride, as I was having to look at the gauge pretty often.

The bike didn't come with a user manual. I plan to get the manual and also the actual shop manual soon, off eBay.

I don't really want to change the oil out completely, but, I don't know what oil goes in it!

Short of doing a complete oil change, can anyone let me know what oil comes stock in the bike? Like a 20-50 synth motorcycle oil? or regular fossil oil?

If it has synth in it and I add regular oil, would that hurt it? and vice versa, if it has dino oil and I add synth, would that hurt it?
I pulled the dipstick and the level, hot and on the sidestand, is pretty darn low.

Which leads me to also wonder WHY it would be that low. It doesn't leak oil, and it doesn't smoke, so I don't believe it is "burning" oil.

Got any ideas for me, best way to top it off without doing a whole oil change?

I really do need to get my hands on a manual.

thanks!
Em
Tampa, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-12-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So, I re-checked the oil now that the bike has cooled and I checked it in both the upright and leaned on sidestand positions, and whhaaattt???? oil level now shows normal range on the stick.

Typically I've known oil levels on a bike to show higher when it's hot. This bike gives flickering oil light when hot and dipstick looks like the oil is way low.

Wow, I soooo don't want to go to the dealer, lol...I just don't.
Starting to miss my old Sportsters - at least I knew my way around them.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Ok got my manual out , we use harle oil at the dealership 20w50 check your receipt to see if they used synthetic shouldnt hurt it if you add reg oil ti it though, ok according to the manual check it upright position if cold oil should hit at the bottom line by the add part , it really should be checked hot and upright oil should be in the x area to the top line so if hot it is not in the x add oil til it is in the upper x area again check hot and upright. Hope this helps
New2Harley and Emzdogz like this.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-12-2015, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Always take it back and have them add it for free, I work for that chain and they will top it off for you, just not on sunday as service is closed then.
Emzdogz likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-12-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
hey thanks a lot oandy, for the info. I appreciate it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page