LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-22-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sputtering (full of gas)

Hi all,

Just purchased a Street 750 a couple of weeks ago and now have 250 miles on it! I've love it so far but this Sunday I took it on a "long ride"(84 miles) at highway speeds (70~55 MPH) and filled up about a 12 miles away from home. On Monday I hopped on my bike to go about 2 miles at 25 mph and the entire time the bike jerked and sputtered (like it wanted to stall) the exhaust also was making a sputtering noise. I didn't think anything of it and just figured it needed to be warmed up. Today I went to start my bike and it would not start unless I held in the starter for a good 15-30 seconds. Once I got it started the sputtering situation only got worse. I only got around the block before I decided I didn't want to drop the bike (it kept stalling on take-off). I know these bikes have issues when the fuel is low but I have been very particular and kept the gas tank full.

Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-22-2015, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by essej704 View Post
Hi all,

Just purchased a Street 750 a couple of weeks ago and now have 250 miles on it! I've love it so far but this Sunday I took it on a "long ride"(84 miles) at highway speeds (70~55 MPH) and filled up about a 12 miles away from home. On Monday I hopped on my bike to go about 2 miles at 25 mph and the entire time the bike jerked and sputtered (like it wanted to stall) the exhaust also was making a sputtering noise. I didn't think anything of it and just figured it needed to be warmed up. Today I went to start my bike and it would not start unless I held in the starter for a good 15-30 seconds. Once I got it started the sputtering situation only got worse. I only got around the block before I decided I didn't want to drop the bike (it kept stalling on take-off). I know these bikes have issues when the fuel is low but I have been very particular and kept the gas tank full.

Can anyone help?
Take it to your dealer it is under warranty!!!
Rock270 likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-23-2015, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
sounds to me like you got bad gas.
you can syphon it all out and put fresh gas in it from a different source then try it again, if it continues, then i'd certainly take it to the dealer.
Irie likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-23-2015, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Same thing happened to me. After that and getting the dealer to pick the bike up for the 3rd time, I finally got a fuel pump replacement. The new service manager knew about tech tip 442 and said that even though the tank was full, the gas was sloshing around in the tank and the fuel pickup was not functioning properly. The previous time they adjusted my throttle and temporarily fixed the problem. The first time I was told to keep the fuel pump wet and keep at least a gallon of gas in it. Hopefully the fuel pump replacement will do the trick, but that is yet to be seen.
Rock270 likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingwood750 View Post
Same thing happened to me. After that and getting the dealer to pick the bike up for the 3rd time, I finally got a fuel pump replacement. The new service manager knew about tech tip 442 and said that even though the tank was full, the gas was sloshing around in the tank and the fuel pickup was not functioning properly. The previous time they adjusted my throttle and temporarily fixed the problem. The first time I was told to keep the fuel pump wet and keep at least a gallon of gas in it. Hopefully the fuel pump replacement will do the trick, but that is yet to be seen.
i'd like to see an aftermarket company solve our fuel pump problem, Harley doesn't seem to be able to do it. even an external fuel pump that can be mounted in the tube under the front of the seat, using a DIY kit that we can install ourself, and that has the pickup tube in the tank where sloshing wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by Rock270; 07-24-2015 at 06:55 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I googled street 750 fuel pump and came across this site. http://instland.com/image/where-to-f...cxpopFpcFpwAAG

They are going to try to use a pump from the xl model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1437753771002.jpg (144.5 KB, 20 views)
post #7 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Sure looks like he welded a new mounting flange in the tank, why else would you grind the area down?
post #8 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
Sure looks like he welded a new mounting flange in the tank, why else would you grind the area down?
Definitely welded My question is would that work ? Would it require major changes to the setup ?
post #9 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Absolutely. So long as the pump is set up for similar output (usually in the 1-5 bar range) Your fuel regulator and injectors will handle the rest. A lot of the fittings are pretty universal. Heck you could even do away with an internal pump and use an external pump like a lot of older EFI bikes, it's just unsightly. All depends on your fab skills and so on. But you can kiss that warranty goodbye.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
Absolutely. So long as the pump is set up for similar output (usually in the 1-5 bar range) Your fuel regulator and injectors will handle the rest. A lot of the fittings are pretty universal. Heck you could even do away with an internal pump and use an external pump like a lot of older EFI bikes, it's just unsightly. All depends on your fab skills and so on. But you can kiss that warranty goodbye.
Makes me wonder why it's such a problem for harley to come up with a solution
Rock270 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page