LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-22-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Break in period?

So I am doing the "hard" break in. Lots of rev fluctuation and not being soft on it. Should I be changing my oil every 1-200 miles? Unfortunately I only have a couple hundred miles on it (riding it sort of hard) but it's been 1 year should I change the oil? Or just wait until I hit 1000 miles???

"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-22-2015, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Wouldn't hurt. Oil develops Acid from the combustion process
DaddyDevilKing likes this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
on previous bikes over the years, I changed the oil first at about 300 miles. I was told back then by some one that new engines may get bits of shavings in the oil the first few hundred miles and it's best to change it.

however, on this bike and closing in on 1000 miles I still hadn't.
but I will for sure at 1000 miles.

I'm curious if Harley or even other engine manufacturers test run these engines prior to shipping these bikes out of the factory doors?

post #4 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I mentioned that to the Dealer and was told "never heard of metal shavings in oil, if that were the case you'd have a serious problem" and this was the OWNER that said this. I've heard that the oil in a brand new bike is "special break in oil" I just don't know what the f to beleive lol. So WOULD changing the oil too soon have any negative effects? I can't think of any but ya never know.

post #5 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
The owner is right, if you have visible shavings in your oil, you have big problems. The 1k change is fine, and it's still playing it safe. That's why we have 5k change intervals. Modern oils are far beyond the oils of yesteryear. Even recycled oil will get you over 3k miles with no adverse affects.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
The owner is right, if you have visible shavings in your oil, you have big problems. The 1k change is fine, and it's still playing it safe. That's why we have 5k change intervals. Modern oils are far beyond the oils of yesteryear. Even recycled oil will get you over 3k miles with no adverse affects.
Does time between changes make a difference? Like if I didn't hit 1000 miles for 3 years would that warrant an oil change? Oh...and quick question: Can you guys see the brake fluid in the peep hole of the master cylinder? Cause I can't see it.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
The Oil becomes Acidic over time. And will cause leaks

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #8 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 01:59 PM

obviously noticeable metal shavings would be serious.

however any metals (inside an internal combustion engine) contacting with other moving metals will have, until seated, will have, to a very small degree, some metal micro-bits in the oil, hopefully too small for the naked eye to see.

that's what I failed to specify, minute traces!.....drop a magnet in used motor oil and pull it out and let it drain the oil off, then with a magnifying glass you might even see tiny traces of metal.

for example, on commercial engines, our mechanics sent oil samples out to have them tested for signs of bearing wear, the amount of copper (?) content in the oil would tell them a lot about engine wear.

I understand on all petro engines, the internal parts or lubed prior to assembly, or should be.

I am also with the understanding, that most modern petrol engines are run for a period of time, how long?....don't know, but for a bit at least...do they change the oil after that run?...I doubt it.

i'm gonna change my own oil at 1k and put in amsoil.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDevilKing View Post
Does time between changes make a difference? Like if I didn't hit 1000 miles for 3 years would that warrant an oil change? Oh...and quick question: Can you guys see the brake fluid in the peep hole of the master cylinder? Cause I can't see it.
Time between changes does make a difference. As well as the conditions it is exposed to. Oil does break down over time. You also have added elements like water vapor from atmospheric changes that accumulates n your crank case if not driven regularly and exposed to climate changes. If the bike is not ridden often enough to come to complete operating temperature it will not burn off and expel the water vapor which will in turn stay in your motor. This can also happen with frequent short trips in which you don't reach full operating temperature. The only go around when in storage is if it is in a climate controlled area. Otherwise it's still subject to temperature changes. I would not go more than one year on the same oil personally, but you can ask your dealer what they recommend.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDevilKing View Post

yes, I can see some brake fluid in both master cylinders peep holes.

it's nearly clear, but still can see it.

if you cant then just remove the screws and lift off the cover and look into the small reservoir.

if it's low, then top off with DOT4 (?) fluid, if I remember correctly from reading the manual.

you might also look around your brake calipers and brake lines for any signs of leaks. the fluid level needs to be visible at least some at the peep hole. I just wouldn't overfill it.

I'd double check the bikes owners manual for what it says to do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page