Can the rear break lever be adjusted down a little? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Subike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-23-2015, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
MGG

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can the rear break lever be adjusted down a little?

Or is it in a fixed position. My new Kuryakyn foot posts will not fit flat unless I move the lever down a little (or grind it.) It only has to go down about 1/8th inch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-23-2015, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
In the already crappy low position it has I don't know you would lower it further, but if you remove everything it is splined and you could move it down a spline.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
In the already crappy low position it has I don't know you would lower it further, but if you remove everything it is splined and you could move it down a spline.
I pulled the brake lever system apart. it is not splined. The pedal is on a square shaft and cannot be rotated from its factory position. I wanted to raise the lever . There is enough thread to lower or raise the pedal only a few mm with the factory rod, The two eye balls are on a left/right metric thread. I removed the left threaded eye, and got an extension made to lengthen the rod 20 mm. I then removed the rubber under the right side foot peg to allow the brake lever to come up higher. I can now lock the rear brake with no effort, I dont have to tilt my foot to engage the rear brake, and I can trail the brake comfortable around corners.
Rock270 likes this.

Shafty Old Bugga

post #4 of 8 Old 08-23-2015, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
have any of yall had a problem with the bottom of your pants catching the stock rubber foot pegs while putting your foot down coming to a stop? I've noticed several times this happens. I gotta change these foot pegs out to something else.

also, I wonder if adding a thicker foot pad to the rear brake pedal would work in the same way as your mod did?

once the pad is removed there is a hole in the foot brake lever for a bolt on pad to be installed. I noticed this when I installed a new custom Harley pad on a co riders street 500 a while back.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 02:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
I pulled the brake lever system apart. it is not splined. The pedal is on a square shaft and cannot be rotated from its factory position. I wanted to raise the lever . There is enough thread to lower or raise the pedal only a few mm with the factory rod, The two eye balls are on a left/right metric thread. I removed the left threaded eye, and got an extension made to lengthen the rod 20 mm. I then removed the rubber under the right side foot peg to allow the brake lever to come up higher. I can now lock the rear brake with no effort, I dont have to tilt my foot to engage the rear brake, and I can trail the brake comfortable around corners.
Crap, I'm sorry, I'll have to look in the manual again, I could have sworn it showed it splined. Again, sorry to tell you wrong. I need to quit being lazy and adjust mine but I wanted to get better pads first.

Rock - occasionally my shoe will catch the peg. Very aggravating and not the safest when doing one foot stops.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
MGG

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies.

I got out my dremel and ground the break half moon hole to match the sloped curve of my new foot pegs. The foot pegs I used are the Kuryakyns like the ones in the attached link but they are all black. (The sight I bought these from said they would fit but they really did not fit flat. before modification they hit the bottom of the break lever even at a slant. Now they are pretty flat and have a little room.)

Kuryakyn Dually ISO®-Pegs - Male Mount - Pair- Harley Davidson Models

The break bracket is like 1/8th inch solid steal so I hardly think I weakened it with the gradual slope difference in the cut out.

I am going to add something to the pedal itself to raise it up as I have the same issue as others that I can't bend my foot enough to make the back break as useful as I think it should be.

I have a new pedal which was the thickest one I could find at HD that would fit this but it only raises it maybe 3/16 of an inch and that is not enough. I want to raise it at least an inch.

mgg
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2015, 09:08 PM

Garage
Yeah, double checked the diagram. It's definitely showing it as round, not square. I guess they changed their design at some point and didn't modify the print.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2016, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock270 View Post
have any of yall had a problem with the bottom of your pants catching the stock rubber foot pegs while putting your foot down coming to a stop? I've noticed several times this happens. I gotta change these foot pegs out to something else.

also, I wonder if adding a thicker foot pad to the rear brake pedal would work in the same way as your mod did?

once the pad is removed there is a hole in the foot brake lever for a bolt on pad to be installed. I noticed this when I installed a new custom Harley pad on a co riders street 500 a while back.
This is a good method.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page