Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Air intake whistling

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  hansm84 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been looking around for a new air filter and slip on for my street 750. A lot of the setups that I've seen in person and online have a whistling sound that seems to be coming from the air filter. I'm not sure if that is desirable to some, but I'm not a fan. What are others opinions or experience with this? Does anyone have any suggestions for air filters that don't make this high pitched whistle?

#2 ·
Brother there are 2 things you need to do

1. Understand that the Street is as quiet as a mouse , so a flee fart will sound as annoying as an air intake doing what it is intended to do

2. Buy a noisy pipe and drown out the air intake induction whistle

You will now have a bike that sounds cool

Problem solved in 2 easy steps

Cheers

Ray

#7 ·
I've been looking some and those are the two main ones that I've seen out there, other than the $80 upgrade kit for the stock intake. Do you have any videos uploaded of your setup?

It's not for everyone, I get it. But I absolutely love the sounds that come from my V&H intake. Cold start especially, when it's really sucking in air. I get nothing but compliments on the intake and V&H exhaust without the baffle. Went on a ride a few weeks ago in the mountains with a couple of guys on Hondas and Ducatis and they all commented very favorable on the sound of the bike, especially the harsh bark on downshifts and the deceleration rich pops when going into corners hot.
I did hear a 750 with the V&H setup at a dealership, it had a naked intake with the comp series pipe. The sound is awesome! The more I look around, the less I'm worried about the whistle.

I just used a K&N Drop In filter. And bought a Firebrand Megaphone Muffler. Havent installed it yet. Have this fear that I will need a Stage 1 Tune from the dealer.
They say anytime you change the intake you want to get a fuel pack or a tune. The extra expense is a bummer, but definitely a necessary evil.

#4 ·
^^ my setup
Screaming eagle exhaust
Vance and Hines naked intake
Vance and Hines Fp3 fuelpak

After adding the intake and fp3 the engine seems to run less hotter.

Oh I only notice the intake during startups, while running the exhaust is the only thing I can hear

#5 ·
It's not for everyone, I get it. But I absolutely love the sounds that come from my V&H intake. Cold start especially, when it's really sucking in air. I get nothing but compliments on the intake and V&H exhaust without the baffle. Went on a ride a few weeks ago in the mountains with a couple of guys on Hondas and Ducatis and they all commented very favorable on the sound of the bike, especially the harsh bark on downshifts and the deceleration rich pops when going into corners hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.