Oil light flickering when hot - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Oil light flickering when hot

I think I mentioned this once before, when extremely hot, my oil light flickers. Doesn't stay on steady, just flickers. If I raise engine speed even a tiny bit with the throttle, the light no longer comes on.

Is there ANYONE here who's experienced the same? It has oil at correct level.

My main Question is whether it's safe to ride the bike like this until I have time to take it to the dealer. (Which I need to do someday anyway, for the fuel pump replacement).

I have to say, it disappoints me, the relative unpopularity of the Street here in the USA.
I guess it's just too small in physical size for most. Fits me like a glove.
I miss the comeraderie of the Sportster world.
But I want my STREET! Not a Sporty, not now anyway, lol.
I am frustrated.

As far as the oil light flickering, anyone?
Thanks in advance!

Em
Tampa,FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-17-2015, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
What viscosity oil is in there? 20-50?
Emzdogz likes this.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
post #3 of 20 Old 12-17-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Since I haven't changed the oil, I have no idea - and even then I wouldn't know. I guess it's possible someone put something lighter than 20-50 in it. It appears light in color on the dipstick, so no, I've not changed it.

I just find it amazing that no one else has had this occur.

thx for the response.
Part of my issue is right now I work 7 days a week, 10 hour shifts. So no time to fiddle with the bike, or even take it to the shop.
But I like riding it to work on nice days, so I hope I'm not messing it up.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-17-2015, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
If the Level is Correct, Possibly a bad Sensor or Connection. I would recommend Changing the Oil and Filter. It does break down after awhile.
Emzdogz likes this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #5 of 20 Old 12-28-2015, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Emzdogz

Did you end up figuring out the cause? Mine's new, only had 80KMs when the same thing started with it. Happens when it warms up and noticed it first at a stop sign. But now I'll notice it pretty much every time my revs drop. Give the throttle a tug and the light goes out. Checked the oil upright hot - covers the X. A Harley dealer, said I needed to check the oil whilst on the jiffy stand - if so, I need to add more. Confused - seems there's 2 camps when it comes to checking oil...Pretty sure I didn't have an issue during the first 20 or so KMs.

Now I've done about 90KM and will need to wait till the 4th before I can take it back to where I bought it.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-29-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500-FTW View Post
Hi Emzdogz

Did you end up figuring out the cause? Mine's new, only had 80KMs when the same thing started with it. Happens when it warms up and noticed it first at a stop sign. But now I'll notice it pretty much every time my revs drop. Give the throttle a tug and the light goes out. Checked the oil upright hot - covers the X. A Harley dealer, said I needed to check the oil whilst on the jiffy stand - if so, I need to add more. Confused - seems there's 2 camps when it comes to checking oil...Pretty sure I didn't have an issue during the first 20 or so KMs.

Now I've done about 90KM and will need to wait till the 4th before I can take it back to where I bought it.
hi FTW, nope, still haven't had time to get the bike to the dealer or to change the oil. I think I'll do the oil change myself before going to the dealership (for fuel pump recall) and see if the oil change does the trick.

I've worked all December with only like 2 days off, but I will have a few days off soon, so I'll report back.

But yeah, same deal, just give it even very slightly higher RPMs, with the throttle, and the light goes off. It's almost like maybe the bike is idling a tiny bit too low?

I want to do the oil change first though.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-30-2015, 02:17 AM

I called Harley assist today, just to get an opinion on whether or not I should ride it. The tech came round and had a look, easy to reproduce but didn't seem too concerned. He said I should get it round to the dealer, but to keep tweaking the throttle so the revs don't drop too low and that the dealer will likely need to adjust the idle speed.

Just curious Em, do you have any mods on your bike? I have a theory... I got the SE 2 into 1 night stick, with the SE AC - but I opted out of the stage 1 tune. In my case, baring the possibility of a faulty sensor, I think the AC alteration means that the mix is wrong and so drops the idle rev, amongst other things??? I'm going to experiment with the exhaust baffle, by removing it - to see if there's a difference.

Either way I take it to the dealer sometime after the 4th and report back too.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-30-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Mine has the Screaming Eagle muffler on it, but not the AC.
It does seem to idle really slow at stops. Not enough to kill it or stumble.
I want to have the service Dept at HD hook my bike up to their computer, to see if it gives any info.
Hmmm...
post #9 of 20 Old 12-30-2015, 07:24 PM

I took the end cap and disks off and went for a ride. It seemed better at first, but now it feels worse. I noticed that the light would come on if I was taking it easy. The engine still sounded reasonably fast/reving - but I had to tweak the throttle even further to get it to go out. Worse still, I came to a full stop after a hill using the engine to break. I'm sure I heard an warning buzzer when I pulled up. Don't know if the bike even has one, but I was pretty worried...

So that's it for me - I'm gonna wait till I get it to the shop :-(

I was going to see if more oil would help - but now I'm clutching at straws I think. It's just going to have to go back.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Here is my take on this. My 15 XG750 has both a K&N AF(Drop in) and a Firebrand Grand Prix muffler. And have never seen what the OP was describing.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200