Buzzing sound under the XG750 tank as ignition key and kill switch is turned to on. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By 750STREETRIDER

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Buzzing sound under the XG750 tank as ignition key and kill switch is turned to on.

Just noticed that there is a buzzing sound under my tank on my new 2016 XG750 when I turn the ignition switch to on and then put the kill switch in the on position after turning it off. I'm suspecting a start relay issue but don't know for sure if this is a normal condition for this model as it wasn't showing this issue for the first week of having it. I'm taking the video clip of this issue to Harley to talk to them about it, the bike is still under service warranty so I'm not touching it. It has 2.9 miles on it. Also , I noticed that when I pressed the start button, I had no activity after the first 3 attempts to start the engine, it may be that I wasn't pressing the start button hard enough but I pressed as normally as I did when I first got it the first week after delivery, I got it last Saturday. Any ideas. I did start another XG at the dealer and noticed none of this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-08-2016, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
what you are hearing is the Fuel Pump turning on and priming it's self. The "Kill" switch controls the power to the Fuel Pump, and when it gets turned on it needs to run long enough to pressurize the fuel in the line. This is typical for fuel injected engines. Also if you are not in neutral "N" or do not have the clutch pulled all the way in, the starter will not turn over. Just as if you have the ignition "key" turned on but not the kill switch it will turn over but not start.

hope this helps answer your questions......

oh one more thing, once ignition & kill switch are turned on, wait until the "Orange" Engine light on your display goes out before starting......this is part of the system check and could cause bike to not start if tried to early. Light should go out a few seconds after kill switch is turned on and after the buzzing from the fuel pump.
Irie, JONBERG and 10-64 like this.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks 750 StreetRider. I haven't wrenched in years and am new to Harley's. I wasn't sure what was happening because that whole week after they delivered it, it didn't make any kind of sound like the one I'm hearing now. I'm coming from the KZ 900 world so it will take awhile to get up to speed. I'm looking to eventually get Harley certified but until then, I'll have to depend on the service manual for this bike or this forum. I bought the Service manual from Harley with the gift card we got for buying a new Street, but it hasn't come in yet, it was $60. Hey have you found a pdf version of the service manual ? I was told by the parts department, that Harley doesn't have one for download because they are so easy to copy and distribute. I thought maybe someone has scanned it and is offering it online by now. Anyway, thanks.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2016, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Navarrette View Post
Thanks 750 StreetRider. I haven't wrenched in years and am new to Harley's. I wasn't sure what was happening because that whole week after they delivered it, it didn't make any kind of sound like the one I'm hearing now. I'm coming from the KZ 900 world so it will take awhile to get up to speed. I'm looking to eventually get Harley certified but until then, I'll have to depend on the service manual for this bike or this forum. I bought the Service manual from Harley with the gift card we got for buying a new Street, but it hasn't come in yet, it was $60. Hey have you found a pdf version of the service manual ? I was told by the parts department, that Harley doesn't have one for download because they are so easy to copy and distribute. I thought maybe someone has scanned it and is offering it online by now. Anyway, thanks.
Yes I have the PDF file of the Service Manual, that I bought online for $19.....

2015 Street Models Factory Service Manual 99611-15 EDM 99612-15 :

try this link.

This is not where I bought mine from, as mine included the parts catalog as well. And it looks like they only have the service manual for the 2015 Street, and a 2016 Street parts manual.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2016, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again, 750 StreetRider, I have the pdf on my iPads now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page