4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-24-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
750 Break-In

The owner's manual for the Street 750 says to keep it under 5K for the first 50 miles and under 7K for the first 500, now I know it depends on what gear you are in but since the Street doesn't have a Tach to go by, what milage on the speedo would you say equates to 5K or 7K ? So if I'm in 3rd or 4th , what mileage should I be going and still be safe in following the break-in guidelines ? Should I just keep it under 30 miles per hour for the first 50 miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
My Dealer told me to use all the gears. Not to drive down the highway for the entire break-in. Just don't beat on it. Use all the gears. I changed the Oil and Filter at 500 miles. It was looking kind of gray.

The day after I bought mine, I went on a long ride with some friends. Met up with a group called Dawn Patrol. Did their run. And they had a Raffle afterwards. Which I won a small prize. Bad to the Bone flask. But hey, Put at least 100 miles. I forget exactly.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
post #3 of 20 Old 02-24-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The bike was delivered with 2.9 miles on it, I had my first ride yesterday and put only about 3 miles on it. When I got back , I checked the owner's manual, I read again about the break-in period but was curious about how much to put on the engine since I don't have a tach. I think I'm still ok. I haven't had a new bike that had to be broken in in over 30 years, so I'm babying it right now. Thanks

post #4 of 20 Old 02-24-2016, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Navarrette View Post
The owner's manual for the Street 750 says to keep it under 5K for the first 50 miles and under 7K for the first 500, now I know it depends on what gear you are in but since the Street doesn't have a Tach to go by, what milage on the speedo would you say equates to 5K or 7K ? So if I'm in 3rd or 4th , what mileage should I be going and still be safe in following the break-in guidelines ? Should I just keep it under 30 miles per hour for the first 50 miles?

Just ride safe your not going to go over 5000 rpms unless you hammer on the throttle in a low gear. Use the gears an if the engine starts to hum shift up you will be ok. I bought mine new and my first bike I did get on the throttle a bit trust be you will be fine.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-24-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks , I wouldn't figure that Harley would make a bike so delicate that I would hurt something internally if I went up to 5k or even over a little during break-in. Thanks again.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My dealer had recommended I keep it under 3000rpm as much as possible but cycle through all the gears for the first 500 miles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 20 Old 02-25-2016, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
As a rule of thumb I used all the gears and did not go past the 12 o'clock on the spedo for the first 500k. Also made a point of not going too slow in any of the gears with a handful of throttle.

There is light at the end of the tunnel - once it is broken in the only thing that gets bigger will be the smile on your face.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #8 of 20 Old 02-25-2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So how do you know if you are under 3K if there is no Tach to go by ?
post #9 of 20 Old 02-25-2016, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I just made sure I shifted early and never maintained a steady speed for too long (varied my speeds). That's what you do with a new outboard, lol.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-25-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Navarrette View Post
Old School translation of Engine Break-In Instructions.

Take the bike out for a really good afternoon of riding and short shift your gear changes. After that ride the piss out of it but be sure to vary the RPM so you don't ride for an extended period of time at the same RPM for the first seven "riding" days. Varying the RPM is what's important about the break-in of the engine.

As a former racer we spent 30 minutes of varying the RPM for the engine break-in and then it was RACETIME. All you're really tying to do is break in the rings and bearings to rub any burrs off so that everything moves easily. Tranmissions take longer because the steel gears are hardened steel but with a few hundred miles of riding the shifting becomes easier as the burrs wear off the gears.

If everthing is built right then break-in is highly over-rated. If it's not built right then it's going to break anyway.

10-64, CorkyF and Hellbilly like this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page