Radio for the bike install ideas? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Radio for the bike install ideas?

Ok so I do about 130 miles a day on my 750 (sometimes more sometimes less) and I love the ride for the most part. To be honest I figured I would stick with headphones but it's turned into a more cumbersome ritual that I'm kind of tired of going though.

So, in part of a discount through work, I'm looking at installing a kicker system. The main system being this:

Kicker 40PXIBT50.2 2-channel amplifier/controller with Bluetooth

My big hold up from getting it is basically where I'm going to mount the amp. I've done stereos on cars and trucks but never a bike and while I like the minimalistic of my 750, this is a creature comfort that would keep the ride a little more enjoyable.

Any ideas on mounting without it being out in the open? More so of keeping the bike clean looking. Under the seat perhaps? I haven't really pulled it yet so not sure. The controller I figured on the handlebar clamp since it just has the Harley logo and shouldn't be in the way of the key.

Obviously, if a plausible brainstorm is done I'll photo it up after install etc to help anyone else out that considers this or something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-06-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I had some free time this morning and cut a 2x4 down to a size ( supposed to be 3-1/2"W x 5-1/2"L x 2"H) as close as I could, 4"W x 5 1/2" L x 2"H sso it's a pretty tight fit. But looks like it can get in without too much of a hassle. Now the actual amp has curves, and should be more forgiving than a block of wood and will be a half inch slimmer so the solenoid should be able to be reattched. Seat does mount back down as it is now without any problems so I'm feeling pretty hopeful.

Any comments or info that may make this a better install, feel free and add to this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160406_113647.jpg (331.7 KB, 117 views)
StoneFree likes this.

"St Barbara of the Artillery Corp - Be at the bursting of the doors of doom, And in the dark deliver us"
post #3 of 13 Old 04-07-2016, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Bluetooth earphones & a music app on your smart phone works good too. On my modular helmet I have a Sena system paired with my iphone & on my half helmet I just use my hearing aids, which are also paired with my iphone. Lots of options.
Solo750owner and 10-64 like this.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-13-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So I've got the wiring diagram for the amp and looking at a few options for the install, mainly the ignition signal wire. As soon as I get a good setup I'll share it, of course with full photos. I'll do a youtube video for it once it's going as well, with drawback that it will be a youtube video of a stereo so I'm sure it won't be the same quality. I'll post back as soon as its ready.

CorkyF, I've been doing something similar but it's gotten to the point where I spend a few minutes getting it setup each time I go to ride, that and when I do have a passenger (which is few and far between considering size of seat) they do like to listen as well. My last set of headphones found their way to the mouth of a pet (as well as several others) which left me with going a new route. Your suggestion does work without problems though.

"St Barbara of the Artillery Corp - Be at the bursting of the doors of doom, And in the dark deliver us"
post #5 of 13 Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I've been rather busy otherwise I would have followed up sooner. So the install went well, and I do have a few photos. You'll see that I wasn't able to handle the speakers being chrome for long as they've been painted gloss black to help match the bike a little better.

The amp does have an aux in port as well as a usb charging port which I have routed the aux input to what appears to be a coolant overflow tank. The charging port is directly on the amp but if I ever want to add a cable to it, it's not hard to get to. The sound quality was much better than I had expected considering this is on a motorcycle. I can hear it at 75mph clearly however there is quite a bit of wind noise at that point but I can hear it. I figure a small wind shield such as the memphis del ray or something similar should address that problem, as well as help reduce wind fatigue after putting 200+ miles in each day.

Would I do it again? Sure, just would note that if you don't like chrome plan on painting the speakers to match however you wish, they weren't hard to disassemble by any means. I also have a volume boost app on my phone but it is a lower end phone that doesn't allow streaming music to function all that well. Just want to give a honest review in case anyone decides to follow so they know the positives and negatives of this setup.

Took about 4 hours to install, but I was also going slow due to figuring out how to run the wires under the tank, which I took the rear tank bolt off to lift it up to run them in the channels. Also, I had to remove everything down to the battery to setup the wiring for the amp which did help in relocating to make everything fit. I think it was worth it, if anyone follows and needs more in depth photos etc just ask.
Attached Images
File Type: png stock speakers.png (672.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg blackspeakers.jpg (118.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg amp install.jpg (121.3 KB, 101 views)
rganesh67, CorkyF and zipster_77 like this.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-23-2016, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
thats sick as.. thats a cool mod but as u say wind.. i found with head phones that extra sense is dulled and for me i depend on noises round me.. ill use head phones on long trip. but not in town. could have car blasting but plug in ear phones block every thing.. thats a brilliant idea u get music witch we all love.. and still very aware of whats going on. hope wind screen works post updates please
10-64 likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-27-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So I had the unfortunate event of needing to ride without my full face helmet recently. I can safely say that not only did I survive, I can hear the radio very well at highway speeds. To the extent that I'm sure a half or 3/4 and no windscreen *could* suffice for those who don't use fullface helmets. Just wanted to update, a screen is still only to do list.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-27-2016, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyF View Post
Bluetooth earphones & a music app on your smart phone works good too. On my modular helmet I have a Sena system paired with my iphone & on my half helmet I just use my hearing aids, which are also paired with my iphone. Lots of options.

Yep. This!
post #9 of 13 Old 01-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Where to get power from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain View Post
I've been rather busy otherwise I would have followed up sooner. So the install went well, and I do have a few photos. You'll see that I wasn't able to handle the speakers being chrome for long as they've been painted gloss black to help match the bike a little better.

The amp does have an aux in port as well as a usb charging port which I have routed the aux input to what appears to be a coolant overflow tank. The charging port is directly on the amp but if I ever want to add a cable to it, it's not hard to get to. The sound quality was much better than I had expected considering this is on a motorcycle. I can hear it at 75mph clearly however there is quite a bit of wind noise at that point but I can hear it. I figure a small wind shield such as the memphis del ray or something similar should address that problem, as well as help reduce wind fatigue after putting 200+ miles in each day.

Would I do it again? Sure, just would note that if you don't like chrome plan on painting the speakers to match however you wish, they weren't hard to disassemble by any means. I also have a volume boost app on my phone but it is a lower end phone that doesn't allow streaming music to function all that well. Just want to give a honest review in case anyone decides to follow so they know the positives and negatives of this setup.

Took about 4 hours to install, but I was also going slow due to figuring out how to run the wires under the tank, which I took the rear tank bolt off to lift it up to run them in the channels. Also, I had to remove everything down to the battery to setup the wiring for the amp which did help in relocating to make everything fit. I think it was worth it, if anyone follows and needs more in depth photos etc just ask.
Hey Steelrain,

I just bought the Boss Audio MCBK420B speakers and did the installation.

The problem is I wired the amp directly into the battery and the amp is always on and I think this will drain my battery.

Where did you hooked your amp to get power? I tried to find an Accessory line so when I turn on the ignition key, the amp will turn on but couldn't find any.

Thanks in advance
post #10 of 13 Old 03-08-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
moisessalum, I've been off for a while and haven't been able to access my computer so sorry for the super late delay. What I did was get a tap a-fuse Such as this one here which you should be able to get at any auto store, I got mine at advanced auto. Anyway I found a fuse on the fuse block, I want to say it was the lights and used it there.

This allows the lights to continue to have a fused link as well as add an aftermarket item such as the radio to it as well with it's own fuse. This is your best bet if you don't want to alter the wiring at all. If you need any more information let me know I'm home again for the time being and can get photos etc if needed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page