4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-12-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Kickstand modification ?

When I first bought my 750, I thought that I ran across someone who had modified/improved his kickstand so the darned thing won't fall over so easily.
Now...I can't find it ( and I had my first near miss).

Has anyone taken a grinder to that angled little plate that hits the stud, that stops the stand from moving forward ?? ( sorry for the lame description )

It seems that if a person would simply remove a little metal , it would let the kickstand go a little farther forward. Wouldn't take a lot of grinding........

Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated,too !! thanks, mike
CorkyF likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I'll look at it today when I get home and chime in....

Current rides:

2016 Softail Slim S Olive Gold Denim

2016 Street 750 Vivid Black

1998 Honda Aero Black/Silver
post #3 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 11:17 AM

Garage
I see what you're talking about.....grinding it would thin it but don't think it would be any better....it would weaken it and possibly bend when on the stand.....I'd rather grind it off and relocate it a 1/4" or so........or buy a used kickstand, have it cut and shortened and re welded....

Current rides:

Last edited by Hellbilly; 05-13-2016 at 11:23 AM.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I wonder if they changed the kickstand on the 2016....( maybe the 2017 ??)
post #5 of 12 Old 05-14-2016, 09:50 AM

Garage
No….Mel's bike sits the same way as the 2015s……I lowered it and it sits a little more upright…..I showed her how to park it and what to never do when leaving it on the stand……I might look into modifying the stand down the road….

Current rides:

post #6 of 12 Old 05-14-2016, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
First night I had my 2016, it fell over. Totally my fault, parked it on soft soil, facing ever so slightly downhill.. Woke up the next morning and looked out my window and was just dumbfounded. For the record, there's some kind of Yamaha that uses nearly the exhaust same clutch handle as us. Only two differences were the clutch safety switch (it doesn't have the spot to move the switch), and the pivot bushing was about .010" bigger. Did the job while I waited a week for the dealer to order the real lever, and was half the price. Got it from an isle of clutch levers in a bin full of them marked "Yamaha"..
post #7 of 12 Old 05-27-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, I keep thinking about doing a little grinding. I can see two areas that could be "adjusted" a little ..... I think I'm going to try to remove a little metal this weekend......

It's frustrating that Harley wouldn't have a "fix" for this........mike
post #8 of 12 Old 05-28-2016, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
You are correct Mike that only a small grind here and there could make the stand more positive.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #9 of 12 Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I agree that the side stand design is a HUGE problem. Riding mine home from the dealer I pulled over because my phone rang and I knew it was about work. The bike almost fell over while listening to the message and almost fell over again while calling back. I was on flat ground and I assume it was the wind from passing vehicles that caused it to fall. Luckily I was standing right next to the bike and was able to catch it both times, but I am severely disappointed in the fact that these bikes fall over so easily when on the side stand, and I think it should be the subject of a recall. Can you imagine that my brand new bike almost fell over twice before I even got it home? That's totally ridiculous IMO. I have purchased a center stand but haven't installed it yet. In the meantime I am VERY careful about using the side stand. It's horrible. I am really hoping for a recall, or at least that something becomes available to fix it.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-08-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
:- )) Well, I finally got around to doing a little alteration.. There are two locations that I modified :

1.There is a little piece that looks like a boomerang. The spring attaches to the bottom of this piece. I took a Dremel tool and carefully and slowly ( stopping and trying it out and measuring multiple times) removed a little metal at the "bend of the boomerang" and very slightly above the bend. In total , I removed about 0.120 inches. Not very much !!

2. On the top part of the kickstand itself , there is a little metal "bumper" that limits the forward motion of the kickstand....I carefully ground that down , too. I'm guessing that I removed about 0.100 inches but this is only a guess because it was too awkward to measure ( before and after).

3. I also sprayed a little lube on the pivot of the kickstand. It was dry and I didn't think it would hurt.

Results: Before I started, when I would use my foot to extend the kickstand...the stand would go down and stop about 3/8 inch before hitting the stop. The spring didn't have enough "pull" to pull it over center. When you used your toe to push it into place, it was just barely over center and if the bike moved at all , the stand would retract a bit....down goes the bike !

Now..... when I use my foot to extend the kickstand, it "snaps" down , into place. The stand also goes just a little further forward so that it is more "over center". I got on the bike and put the stand down and then rocked the bike forward and backward, tried to get the stand to retract by itself and couldn't make it happen !! I'm not saying it couldn't happen and I will still keep it in gear when I park it but I am much happier with it now !! By the way, the stand still snaps up when you want it to , also....... Disclaimer....I haven't ridden it since doing this.

Hope you find this interesting.... mike
happydaze and Hellbilly like this.

Last edited by mike28w; 06-08-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page