2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel Gauge

So from the time the fuel gauge light comes on , how much fuel would you say is left in the tank and how many miles would it give you before you completely run out of gas . I was out yesterday and noticed that my fuel indicator light kept coming on and off at different points in my ride so I pulled over to see what was actually left in the tank and it looked like it was at about half a tank so I found a stationed and filled up just to be safe. It was kind of frustrating though and had me anxious about running out. Is the intermittent gauge illumination a warning sign to check the level before it ends up being steadily illuminated indicating that you are about to run completely out of gas ? Does this system have a reserve like most older bike's ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I reset the Trip A odometer to zero every time I fill her bike up.....when she gets to 120 miles...I refill it....I don't like relying on those lights or sensors.....
JONBERG and hjnj like this.

Current rides:

2016 Softail Slim S Olive Gold Denim

2016 Street 750 Vivid Black

1998 Honda Aero Black/Silver
post #3 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbilly View Post
i reset the trip a odometer to zero every time i fill her bike up.....when she gets to 120 miles...i refill it....i don't like relying on those lights or sensors.....

best way without a doubt!

post #4 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
I reset the Trip A odometer to zero every time I fill her bike up.....when she gets to 120 miles...I refill it....I don't like relying on those lights or sensors.....
That's my exact number, too. And I have only had the light come on me once during my first tank given by the dealership, so who even knows if that was a full tank or not. When the light came on with the first tank, I probably rode another 15 miles and still had the better of a half gallon left in the tank when I filled it. This has not been nearly as much of an issue as I feared when first considering this bike.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 12:38 PM

Garage
Fuel capacity is 3.5 gallons....and they claim 54.5 mpg.....that's about a 190 mile range......but I just play it on the safe side and fill it at 120.....she's gone past 120 with no issues.....but I do not like running the tank low.....on any of the bikes...

Current rides:

post #6 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks all for the trip tip. Hey, how do you guys handle gas spots on a matte finish when filling up . I tried to be careful yesterday while filling up , shaking the gas cap back into the tank before moving it away from the tank but I guess I wasn't careful enough and so I put a quarter sized gas drop on the tank, luckily I though quick enough to take a tissue out of my pocket and put some clean water on it and then rub the spot lightly , it worked for the most part but is still slightly visible at the right angle in the sun. It's right next to the filler opening so only I can really see it as I'm riding, it just bugs me that I did this even while trying to be careful. Maybe I'm being to picky but I'd like to have nothing on my tank. Anyway, I went online and have come across various suggestions including WD-40. I know Harley sells a matte / denim finish cleaner so I may try that but like I said, the spot is not that big so I'd like to try something else first. Thanks
post #7 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
The fuel tank is 3.5 gallons. The light is supposed to come on when there's 0.8 gallons left. As for how much range that means, that depends entirely on your speed. If you're going 40 mph, you might be getting something like 60 mpg, so that 0.8 gal might last 48 miles. But if you're going 75 mph, you might be getting only about 35 mpg, and that 0.8 gal might run out after only 28 miles.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 02:55 PM

Garage
Keep a rag handy and before you lift the nozzle out, lift it up a little and put the rag under the gas nozzle after you finish filling it up.....you can also use paper towel provided at the gas stations....those spots on that denim is exactly why we got Vivid Black.....

Current rides:

post #9 of 11 Old 05-13-2016, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
The Owners Manual (Page 107, Table 22) tells you that the Low Fuel Indicator light will come on with approx. 3.02 liters, or. 0.8 gallons of fuel remaining.

As for the fuel spots on the Denim Paint .......................when I remove the cap, I turn the key and release the "pressure" in the tank SLOWLY, then tip the cap off. Anything faster seems to splatter fuel out and onto the tank.

YES, the HD Denim Paint Cleaner works wonders! Make sure you use a Micro Fiber cloth, as they suggest. Makes the paint look like new. I swear by the stuff now!

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
post #10 of 11 Old 05-30-2019, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Folks, I recently bought a 2017 Street 750.
When the fuel light comes on, the digital clock starts to count UP!.
the readout starts at 0L and moves up through the numbers quite quickly.
Distance wise i think it's too quickly to be counting 10th's of a mile, but it can't be counting Litres used either or a tank would last about 10 miles.
Any ideas?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page