so much sticky crud in rear master cyl - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By thewhitegorilla

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-22-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
so much sticky crud in rear master cyl

Hi folks, I'm in the midst of trying to figure out how I will upgrade my rear (and front for that matter) brake, without breaking the bank.
The bike is a 2015 with 8000 some-odd miles on it. I've only put maybe 1500 of that on it.
After my ride today, during which the brakes where pretty underwhelming, I checked the brake fluid, first by looking through the sight glass. Couldn't really see anything through the sight glass, so I went ahead and took the top off the fluid reservoir. It was low, but not low enough, I don't think, to allow air into the line.

But I was amazed at how brownish the fluid has turned, and then, ACK!, I noticed "stuff"at the bottom of the reservoir.
I guess this is what you call "spooge"?

I've had several motorcycles before, old and new, and have bled brakes many times. I've never before seen such discolored brake fluid and I definitely haven't seen that spoogey stuff before. Ever! And I've had some pretty funky MCs before! (old bikes, etc)

So i guess I need to at least bleed the system a lot, until the fluid is clean looking, and also wipe out all that crud. This is going to be a big job, I think, because I will be bleeding in new fluid from an empty reservoir. (not already pre-bled in)

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this build up of crud in your reservoirs?

Really, also, trying to figure out a way to mod the shape of the pedal, as I know many on here have considered.
Just to feel the pedal pressure by hand, squatting next to the bike, it seems pretty firm. But as many of us have experienced, on the road, it doesn't "do" much until around 4 o'clock.
Seems to me it almost needs a pedal that sticks up, like a brake pedal on forward controls. (only not that much)
On more thing, how do you remove the black rubber "cushion" on the pedal which your boot contacts?

thanks! Mainly wondering about the spooge/crud issue...if anyone else has had this, but I figured I'd throw the rest of those questions in there anyway. Tried searching the forum - must be using bad search terms. Will keep searching, too.
Em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-22-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
just bought a used (and "bent", although I couldn't tell from the pic) rear brake pedal from eBay.

My idea is to use the flat portion of the pedal nearest the pad, along with the face the pad mounts to as an addition to my current lever. Of course I'll have to remove mine, figure out how to remove the rubber pad, cut both it and the damaged "donor", so that I can weld a bit more lever to the very front. So it hooks upward and therefore higher than it currently is. Even thought it'll still have excessive travel, at least that travel can be more easily accessed.
I'll go ahead and weld it in the position I want with my little 110 Lincoln welder, and then take THAT to a place where they will weld the living heck through my welds, making it a forever thing.

I wish I could source one more used pedal, so I could do this without having to have my bike down for so long.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-22-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Something like this. I know the shape is not exactly drawn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XG-brake-pedal-poss-mod.jpg (24.6 KB, 14 views)

post #4 of 6 Old 05-22-2016, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Im thinking as someone else said in a previous post to lengthen the turn buckle. I haven done it yet but its on the list.This way you could take out some of the lost travel. Mine like everybody's else's that has a 14 or 15 has too much movement before any noticeable brake power.
thagorilla
Emzdogz likes this.

2019 Heritage Classic
1976 Ironhead sporty
1975 ss 250
1976 ss 250
1973 sx 350 3 ea
1974 ss 350
1973 ss 350 w/sidecar
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2016, 09:16 PM

Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage
I bleed the front brakes today on my 2015 750 and the reservoir on the master cylinder did not have any gunk. I used a brake bleeder vacuum pump (I highly recommend getting one) to flush the old fluid out and replacing it with Harley Davidson's Dot 4 fluid. This only took me about 20 minutes once I got the hang of using the pump. Mind you I have almost 15 thousand miles on my bike. Decided to learn how to bleed the brakes when my dealership told me it would cost less on my 15K mile service if they didn't bleed the brakes. Like $150 less. What a night and day difference the front brake feels after flushing out the old fluid. Will be doing the rear next weekend. Also cleaned my K&N air filter too. The forecast here calls for 4 days of rain. Too bad cause we have already had 3 days of sunny weather.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-24-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Do your bikes have a spring that attaches to the other hole in the clevis which holds the rod end, and which attaches to some point behind (backside) of the brake pedal mount? Just noticed this week n a diagram in the service manual. But my bike does not have the spring. The clevis does have the extra hole, where one end of a spring could attach, bu t no spring, and I don't see an attachment point for the other end of the spring. Hmmmm...so, you got a spring back there? On other bikes I think it would be called a return spring, so the lever comes right back up after pressing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page