LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sissybar install help

Normally I would say a sissybar should be pretty easy to install. Front bolt on the finder loosened up without too much hassle. The rear bolts on each side, well, a whole other story.

I picked up a new set of hex keys to ensure that I wasn't using any that could potientially damage the bolts, and that is now a thought of the past. The bolts have started to round out where the hex key is put in so at this point I need to know if there is something that I should have done, and can do to help remove it. Such as is the bike supposed to be on a lift, or did any one else have the same problem with the rear bolts?

At this point I'll have to take a grinder *sigh* to the bolt to put a slit in for a flat head but this is likely going to be a one chance only type of thing and I don't want to make a bad problem worse.

I looked at the service manual and don't see anything saying there should d be a problem so I'm at a loss, the bike is about 5 months old and shouldn't be frozen in place like this.

"St Barbara of the Artillery Corp - Be at the bursting of the doors of doom, And in the dark deliver us"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There have been a lot of people complaining about the rear fender bolt.

https://www.hdstreetforums.com/forum/...nder-bolt.html

good luck.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Harley used Red Thread Locker on two of the screws. Front if I remember correctly. And Blue on the other two (Rear) I had to use an Impact Driver to loosen mine. One of the Techs at my dealer told me to Heat the Inside on the screw to soften the Loctite. Butane pocket torch.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

post #4 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, I may try a torx set at work tomorrow, of course that's saying this tropical storm has quit dumping rain by then. If it's not nearly as windy I'll ride in and try that, and maybe following some of the suggestions I found in the link provided above. As well as taking my butane pocket torch, great investment that has been so far.

I have no problem not having the OEM bolts after this, besides my aftermarket sissybar came with some and the best I can tell is they actually match threading. If not I'm sure I have some at work or can get them quickly enough.

"St Barbara of the Artillery Corp - Be at the bursting of the doors of doom, And in the dark deliver us"
post #5 of 5 Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
For future help, Torx45 did the trick, even with the bolts being rounded out. SO here is what I did:

Torx45 socket onto adapter (so I could use breaker bar and torque wrench later) followed by lightly ( did I say lightly? I meant until that bit was as far in as it could go) hammering the socket into the bolt.

Once I was sure that it wasn't cocked to one side and as deep in as it would get, put on the bar and without any hesitation it started to spin with a nice POP, which would be the lovely red Loctite.

When I was done with this mess (this was the hardest part) I did use BLUE Loctite.. Anyway I found a sissybar that doesn't cost 300+ that fits our bikes and will be posting it on another thread.

Edit: Here's the link to the other post with photos as far as Torx45

Last edited by steelrain; 06-08-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page