Full sissy bar install for less than 80 dollars! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

6Likes
  • 4 Post By steelrain
  • 1 Post By steelrain
  • 1 Post By Propnut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Full sissy bar install for less than 80 dollars!

Ok so I love my 750, I've put 13k on it in 5 months and will continue to ride it everyday. I've already added saddlebags since it has become my daily ride but I know for passengers they have said that a backrest would be nice.

I won't knock Harley products, but the prices, well, on some items and services I'm not all that impressed. I do get the idea of you get what you pay for but:

Docking hardware 39.95
H-D Two-Up Luggage Rack 199.95
Sissy Bar Upright 79.95
Compact Backrest Pad 49.95

369.80 +Shipping/Tax (depending on where you live) just doesn't work for me.

So I found a sissybar with pad (and can accept a luggage rack!) on Amazon, right here for 69.89. Don't let shipping time scare you, mine without even asking was put in for 3 days, ordered on Friday here on Monday and that's with Colin coming up the coast of FL.

So, yes I see it says it is for a 883. There was only ONE thing I had to do, which was make the holes bigger on the mounting plates.
Quick guide:

1.Remove fender bolts. I truly recommend having a Torx45 socket on hand and just hammering it into the bolts, no problems getting them out with that method. If you opt to reuse the oem bolts, and I did as I didnít want to go to the hardware store, youíll need to clean the red Loctite off the best you can.

2. Remove seat, it helped for me since I had saddlebags on already and just gave me room to work with as I didnít want to damage the seat working on the brackets etc.

3. Drill holes out, the back I had to move closer to the front by just over an 1/8 of an inch, use the reinforcement bar that comes off when you remove the bolts as a guide.

4. With a flat head get any burs off, helps keep from damaging paint.

5. Put the bolts back through the fender pieces that came off followed by the sissybar brackets, I put some rubber washers on next followed by blue Loctite and remounted.
6. Put seat back on.
7. Upper sissybar should have came with the pad on, so go ahead and install to brackets. The mounting hardware has a Loctite type threading on the nut, so I would turn the bolt until it is hand tight and then put a socket on the nut and just a few taps to be safe. It may be a little snug, go ahead and bend the brackets slightly to get the upper in there.

8. clean bike cause youíll probably get it dirty like I did lol and maybe a beer if you donít plan on riding right after.

Results: So check the photos if you need a visual, including holes etc on the brackets and what it looks like installed. I like it, works well on bike, did a quick test ride and my passenger liked it to the point where when I got off she was comfortable and wanted to test ride on her own. First lesson down, and I feel another rider will be in the house soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Torx 45.jpg (89.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg RedLoctite.jpg (62.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg HammeredInResults.jpg (88.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Hole too small for bolts.jpg (86.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg BracketHoleExpand.jpg (132.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg FinishedSissybar.jpg (374.0 KB, 269 views)

"St Barbara of the Artillery Corp - Be at the bursting of the doors of doom, And in the dark deliver us"

Last edited by steelrain; 06-08-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Finished photo had a license plate in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-08-2016, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Looks good...great job!!! Good job on being creative and not wasting the extra money on HD crap.....sickens me the prices they charge....

Current rides:

2016 Softail Slim S Olive Gold Denim

2016 Street 750 Vivid Black

1998 Honda Aero Black/Silver
post #3 of 6 Old 06-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Cool trick. I had mine rolled into the loan when I bought the bike, as I had customized it on the website before I went into the store, and came prepared and expecting to be able to buy the bike I had designed. Though I really kick myself for letting them charge me 2 1/2 hours labor to install that and the windshield. Should have just done it all myself. I just wanted to leave with a completed bike.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-28-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ok so Thought I'd do a follow up after about nine months on this project.

The good:

No problems mounting etc.

The Bad:

After three different complaints (two of which were different people so I know it wasn't just one being picky now) I found that it does in fact take too much room off the passenger area. So I improvised on this.

I'm adding the before and after photos. Passenger area is much more roomy. I'm happy too about this. So how did I do this? If you look at my original post with the side mounting bracket you'll see there is a slit/slot between the two holes. I used the slot for the back bolt on the brace (the one you had to hammer with a torx head to get it off) and it fits without any modification. Now, the front bolt of the bracket is a little tricky. By that I mean, again the sissybar mount didn't need any modification either. I know, hindsight is 20/20. Having said that, I went up to my local hardware store and got a smaller bolt ( I can get sizes if needed) as well as nut and two washers as well as a nice metal drill bit. The bit was used on that reinforcement bracket (I'm not sure what the actual name of it is) behind the cover on the rear fender where it lines up with the front hole. The washer goes on with the bolt and on the other side of the bracket along with locktight and the nut. I've got some pictures as well, not as clear but should help.

So what do I plan to do about that bit that hangs out in the back?

Well for the time being I put some jbweld in there to fill the old mounting hole. Followed by some sanding to smooth it out and black paint. I am considering a vinyl wrap now that I am done with the underglow (and engine glow) kit as well as the turn signal replacement which would mean that bar mount will get wrapped. Otherwise, off to get repainted it will go as the fender isn't exactly pretty with all the rocks etc over the 26k miles I put on it this last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before adjustment.jpg (221.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg after adjustment.jpg (156.7 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Mount Holes now.jpg (207.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Mounting holes now 2.jpg (194.3 KB, 91 views)
JanK likes this.

"St Barbara of the Artillery Corp - Be at the bursting of the doors of doom, And in the dark deliver us"
post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2018, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife luckily had a 750 Cdn Dollar accessory special when we bought her 2018 Street 750. As part of the throw in, added was the quick release rack and hardware, crash bar and tail bag. No way I was going to pay 120 dollars for a silly little sissy bar HD sells for the rack, got same one, same colour, same style on Aliexpress for 20 Bucks shipped to the door. Fit exactly as it should.

Bike now has a batwing, and vikings bags along with the releasable rack and 20 dollar sissy bar.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-26-2018, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
A picture always is worth a thousand words.
Big Rus likes this.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page