LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-19-2016, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Gas tank pressure valve?

I just picked up my Street 750 a couple days ago, first bike I've ever owned. So to put that into context I know next to nothing about motorcycles outside of what the MSF course teaches. The bike got delivered, I went outside to start it up and give it a go, being new and everything I was checking everything out to make sure there wasn't any problems. I went to open the gas tank to verify that there was enough fuel in there to ride around, next thing i know it basically exploded and covered me and the wife in about two bucks of gas. Naturally I was a bit irritated and perturbed about this so I called the maintenance people at the dealership, they told me that there is a valve on the gas cap that is supposed to let over-pressurized gas vapor escape the tank and that mine might be broken. My question would be is there any truth to this, sounds convincing to me; but then again, he could have told me an alien was shaking my gas tank last night and I wouldn't have any experience to really call him out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-19-2016, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
If the bike (engine) was "hot", and there was a reasonable amount of fuel in the tank, AND, you released the cap and took it off "fast" .............."yes" it probably blew back some fuel.

In the future, when removing the cap, just loosen it slightly, and SLOWLY turn it off ..............You'll never have that problem again
CorkyF likes this.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2016, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
I use the Two Hand Method. One pushing the Cap down. The other turning the key. And slowly releasing the downward pressure. I use the Two Hand Method when reinstalling the cap. I prefer the arrow pointing forward.
10-64 likes this.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

post #4 of 5 Old 06-20-2016, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmax1 View Post
I use the Two Hand Method. One pushing the Cap down. The other turning the key. And slowly releasing the downward pressure. I use the Two Hand Method when reinstalling the cap. I prefer the arrow pointing forward.
That's better said than what I was trying to say!
It's exactly what I do, and I've never had any fuel blow out.
Propnut likes this.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
post #5 of 5 Old 06-21-2016, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
gas tank pressure valve?

yeah ive had some funny stuff with mine too nothin that drastic but when i bring it in the house after a 5 mile ride from work i hear this faint squealin and burbelin comin from the gas cap like there is a little too much pressure goin on in there cracked the cap open and it stops is it somethin with the fuel pump?was there somethin a while back about a recall for that stuff? any way its good to have this forum, brothers these models are a whole new design for hd so keep writin in

madmike norfolk va 2015 street 500, 2009 yamaha vino

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page