Street 750 - camshaft sprocket holding bolt broke - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Solo750owner
  • 1 Post By Propnut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-19-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Jai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Street 750 - camshaft sprocket holding bolt broke

Hello friends,
I have a serious problem with my Street 750. I bought this new from HD dealer, Qatar in April 2016 and since then till now it around 2000 Kms in Odometer. In April and May it was used 5 days a week and since June only on weekends early morning. My driving pattern love to cruise in between 80 100 Kms speed straight at least one hour and halt for 20 30 min and again if time permits.
Couple of weeks before found an oil spill on the front engine fins and took that to dealer Along with the First service, they did the gasket change. I did change the stock exhaust from the dealer and they fixed Vance & Hines, which they said is good for sound and it is true as well. Far better than the sawing machine sound of stock exhaust.

Last Friday while on my morning ride, after around 1 hrs., suddenly the forward motion power is gone and even after the gear shift, it's not moving ahead. The gear shift is possible but the no forward movement. Engine is roaring up on accelerating, but no movement. Clutch cable is operative and there is no burning smell of any kind. Fuel was also fine
Took the machine to HD dealer and to my shock and also to their shock the found the camshaft sprocket holding bolt is broke and that had an impact on the camshaft, belt etc..ect.
As it is still covered under 2 years warranty, HD will do a full replacement and repair of but I am bit confused and doubting on build quality of this Street 750. They said all parts are made in US factory and only assembling is done in India, What can be the reason for such a bad level of performance First the oil leak and now this miss-hap. Sounds something bad.

Dear friends, anyone can throw some light on this? What can be reason for this Also is it ideal to keep this bike or rather do an upgrade Only because of low budget I went for Street 750, but still at this cost even it is very bad quality right HD Doha is saying they never had such experience for the entire lot they sold over here in Qatar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-19-2016, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
I can see that what occurred with you can be very disconcerting. Yesterday I just rolled over 17,000 miles on the 2nd anniversary date of the purchase of my 2015 Street 750. I've had no major issues including no issues of recalled gas pump. I did purchase a three year extended warranty for my own comfort level. I have no major complaints about my Street 750. I ride my Street 750 to work as often as the weather permits as well as on non working days. Once your motorcycle is fixed, you should continue the experience. I know I would.
Jai likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-20-2016, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Jai

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you friend for your encourging words.

Just a doubt where is your Street assembled? I mean from the VIN it can be identified.

Even the HD dealer here in Qatar as well - shocked on this.

Any idea why this had happened?

post #4 of 6 Old 07-20-2016, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Jai I also ride an assembled in India Street 750 and after just over a year of riding have not experienced any problems with mine or with others I know of in our local chapter. Last weekend I was at the H-D dealership and happened to ask how sales of the 750 were going and if there had been any warranty issues, apart from the fuel pump replacement. The dealer was very happy with 750 sales to date and had not attended to any service issues with any Street's they had sold.

Note that this H-D is the only dealer in our province, servicing one city where I live, and three larger towns.
Jai likes this.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #5 of 6 Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Jai

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut View Post
Jai I also ride an assembled in India Street 750 and after just over a year of riding have not experienced any problems with mine or with others I know of in our local chapter. Last weekend I was at the H-D dealership and happened to ask how sales of the 750 were going and if there had been any warranty issues, apart from the fuel pump replacement. The dealer was very happy with 750 sales to date and had not attended to any service issues with any Street's they had sold.

Note that this H-D is the only dealer in our province, servicing one city where I live, and three larger towns.

Even same is what the HD dealer sales executive here in Qatar said to me. They never had such an issue in Qatar - this is what he is saying.
But in just now in an FB Group for Street 750 Owners, someone said in Banglore, India - around 4 such cases are known to him.
Not sure how the bike will be after the warranty repair -
post #6 of 6 Old 08-04-2016, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
From what you have described its the front drive sprocket thats come off. the motor quits instanttly if the camshaft belt breaks. Iv had the same happen to a US assembled xg500. Its awaiting repairs now.
thagorilla

2015 xg 500
1976 Ironhead sporty
1975 ss 250
1976 ss 250
1973 sx 350 3 ea
1974 ss 350
1973 ss 350 w/sidecar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page