Fuel light fading in and out? 2015 model after recall replacement - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-21-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Fuel light fading in and out? 2015 model after recall replacement

So last year my new 2015 XG750 suffered from the lag-and-leap problem, very badly. 60 miles after a fillup it would become dangerous, yet the fuel light would not be on. If I continued, the fuel light would then fade in and out.

I just had the recall replacement done, so it has a new fuel pump with the zip-tied hose. I drove it up to 100 miles today before the low fuel light began to glow, but it never stayed solidly lit; it slowly fades in, then slowly fades out, and repeats. I filled up at 120 miles, after trying to make it lag-and-leap, and it didnít.

Is this normal fuel light behavior? I am concerned, because I donít want to get lower on fuel and have an unexpected lag-and-leap. My last bike was a Suzuki TU250X, and when its low fuel light came on, it just clicked from off to on (and there was never a lag-and-leap issue) until I refueled.

You either wish you have done it, or you've done it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My 2016 XG750 does basically what you are describing. If I keep driving it will eventually go to a solid light.

What I would suggest is keeping track of the miles between fill up and how many gallons you add each time. Based on how much I know my tank holds I can tell that the lowest I have ever let my tank go was about .6 gallons in it. The light should go on at .8 gallons so if you were driving a constant speed on a level surface ideally the fuel light would go on solid then. But acceleration, deceleration and up and down hill leans are going to make it register more or less fuel than is actually in the tank. Additionally the fuel will increase in volume as the tank gets hot and will decrease in volume when it is cold. All that is to say that the gauge is probably not going to be perfectly accurate.

I personally reset the trip odometer every time I fill up and know that I will need to fill up with city driving at around 130 miles. For highway driving I am getting more like 150 before filling up. So far I have not had any problems with this method.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-21-2016, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Mine has done the fading light as you're describing. I got worried and filled up pretty soon after I noticed it, before it ever stayed on fully solid. Sounds like I will have to go further and see if it comes on solid after the fade in/out next time.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I set one trip meter to zero after fueling, and know the light will come on after about 2.7 gal has been used. Am getting around 50 mpg, so can go 135 mi before seeing the light. All the numbers dependent upon city/freeway miles.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-22-2016, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I've never had a MC fuel light/gage* that I considered to be accurate. Just to be safe I use the odometer after filling-up @ 100 miles.

*several bikes
post #6 of 8 Old 07-22-2016, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
My fuel light does not come on very often, but when it has it has done just that: flickers and dim until it becomes solid and bright. I fill up between 100-130 miles before it ever comes on and the most I have ever put into the tank is 2.8 gallons.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-25-2016, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
This is normal and there is nothing to be concerned about.
For me generally fade in/fade out start happening around 110 miles and then around 130 miles it is a solid yellow light.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
This fading in and out then solid is normal don't worry about it the motorcycle is just telling you it needs fuel.

Ride Safe Be Safe!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page