Upgraded to 2016 rear brakes - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking Upgraded to 2016 rear brakes

Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet. Had an entire 2016 rear brake assembly (all components) put on my 2015.
It feels tons firmer and I don't have to press down very far to engage the brake. That said, it's not like the pedal now feels "higher" overall. It just feels right.
Got a new back tire too.
Looking forward to a longer ride tomorrow. Even though they took 3 weeks to do the job, I am very pleased withe dealership's work and how they handled it.
Everything actually came in under budget.

Now, to save up some $$$ for the front. May still decide to go 4 pot Brembo on that. Not sure. For now mine's ok.

I sure am happy to have a nice strong back brake. My master cyl had gone bad, btw.

Makes me wonder how many people with complaints of a mushy rear brake pedal, with no action until really low, don't, in fact, have a faulty master cyl., or one that is going bad.
UnaClocker and Dave Novotny like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Street 2015 w 2016 brakes.jpg (225.4 KB, 80 views)
post #3 of 11 Old 10-06-2016, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
What did that end up costing?

post #4 of 11 Old 10-07-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
$600ish for all the parts, copper washers, all the little fittings had to be new.

For labor it says "warranty", not sure why. They did charge labor to mount a new back tire I brought in. Not sure why they put the labor as warranty. I also did have the fuel pump recall done and whatever the other recall item was, license plate holder reflector I think?

They took a long time to do the job, but at the end they delivered the bike back to me all detailed.

It all came in at less than the estimate.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Em View Post
Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet. Had an entire 2016 rear brake assembly (all components) put on my 2015.
It feels tons firmer and I don't have to press down very far to engage the brake. That said, it's not like the pedal now feels "higher" overall. It just feels right.
Got a new back tire too.
Looking forward to a longer ride tomorrow. Even though they took 3 weeks to do the job, I am very pleased withe dealership's work and how they handled it.
Everything actually came in under budget.

Now, to save up some $$$ for the front. May still decide to go 4 pot Brembo on that. Not sure. For now mine's ok.

I sure am happy to have a nice strong back brake. My master cyl had gone bad, btw.

Makes me wonder how many people with complaints of a mushy rear brake pedal, with no action until really low, don't, in fact, have a faulty master cyl., or one that is going bad.

Quick question, what parts did you need to exchange the calipers from 2015 to 2016? A detailed parts list would be great... When did they have a 4 piston Brembo setup? This is all news to me. I've done kits like this for Subarus, Mitsubishis, Nissans, but never on motorcycles, which is going to be a crap ton easier than a automobile... I have done a custom brake setup to my DSM (1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, hence the username), basically either 2 ways to do it, JDM Galant Knuckle and swap (super expensive) or custom CNC brackets with some grinding and retapping (skilled at that) and installing Evo 9 calipers from Brembo (4 huge piston fronts, and 2 huge piston rears), so this is easy for me...

I am sure there was a cheaper route, the 01-06 misc Honda models front set calipers, the brackets from Nick at One Off Customs and Adam at ASC coatings (both members here and I know personally) would have helped you out dramatically and saved you $$$ and a lot more time ... I have a 2016 with the Brembo setup from HD, and I am in the process of upgrading my front caliper but we need to go back to the drawing board for blueprinting and design of the 2016+ Street series rear caliper, since the design changed. I already have the stainless steel lines, super duper pads, and the knowledge of how to do a simple brake swap...
Dave Novotny likes this.

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)
post #6 of 11 Old 10-16-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The list is quite lengthy. Will try to photograph the invoice and make it legible. Working 12s the next couple of weeks tho, so no time til then.. Sorry it can't be sooner.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-09-2016, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
$600ish for all the parts, copper washers, all the little fittings had to be new.

For labor it says "warranty", not sure why. They did charge labor to mount a new back tire I brought in. Not sure why they put the labor as warranty. I also did have the fuel pump recall done and whatever the other recall item was, license plate holder reflector I think?

They took a long time to do the job, but at the end they delivered the bike back to me all detailed.

It all came in at less than the estimate.
if you're thinking of upgrading your brakes to a 4 piston set up check this out. Its the kit One Off customs offers for the street 500 and street 750.

Harley davidson street 750 / street 500 4 piston front brake upgrade brackets | eBay
post #8 of 11 Old 11-12-2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I agree Ascoatings 4 piston option is a better deal. I wanted to keep my bike "all Harley" in case I go to sell it, I won't have to explain about the modified brakes, and where to get parts in the future, etc.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I agree Ascoatings 4 piston option is a better deal. I wanted to keep my bike "all Harley" in case I go to sell it, I won't have to explain about the modified brakes, and where to get parts in the future, etc.

keep the stock brakes in a box, when you go to sell the bike, put them back on.
Problem solved...

Sell the 4 piston kit used and make some cash back to pay for the new ride.
Dave Novotny and Aunty Em like this.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-12-2016, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The labor for the fuel pump and license reflector should have been free because of the recalls. Maybe that is what they marked as warranty labor.

The license plate reflector is a red strip under the plate. You should have one now that they did the work.
Aunty Em likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page