User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 10-28-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stuck Throttle.

Just got the bike back from the dealer on Tuesday. I had put on the V&H slip on and they suggested the Screamin Eagle air filter and stage one tune. I took it out for a short ride with no issues. The minor surge that it did before was gone. The exhaust sounds great and now you can actually hear when to shift without hitting the rev limiter. Since they did the fuel pump recall at the same time I thought it best to fill the tank yesterday before going on another short ride. Service station is a mile from my house and bike ran great on the way there. When I started it at the station it revved really high for maybe 5 seconds then dropped to a fast idle. I gave it a couple of short bursts on the throttle but it would only come back to a fast idle. I decided to go a couple of miles down the road and get it warmed up completely. It had never idled this high before. About 2 miles down the road I stopped for a red light and it was still idling too high. Pulling away from the light I decided to see if the new tune could be felt on acceleration. I was just getting ready to shift into forth but the bike decided to keep accelerating hard. Moved the throttle open and shut a couple of times to no avail. Since I was coming up on traffic fast I hit both breaks which are useless with the 750 pulling hard. It finally hit te rev limiter and I hit the kill switch. This all happened in seconds and in 40 years I have never had a bike run away on me like this. I coasted to the shoulder of the road and took a minute to check throttle cable movement. All looked ok. When I tried to restart the bike it only fired on 1 cylinder and sounded like someone was shaking a metal can full of nuts and bolts. In all my years as a mechanic I have never had a fuel injected engine self destruct by over revving. This is the same bike that broke down twice on the way home from the dealership where I bought it with around 1100 miles on it. Now this at 1300 miles. Lucky its still under warranty. I can understand that Harley wanted to keep the price down by not installing a fuel gauge on a injected bike or that they saved a few bucks by making the mirrors far to short or even that they decided not to try to hide the wiring but this is a safety issue that could get a new rider killed.
While I was stranded on the side of the road I had Harley riders pull over to see if they could help. Was even offered a ride home to get my trailer. I was amazed that this happened 3 times. Great rider community but probably my first and last Harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Its Possible that something is stuck inside the T-Plate. When I went to install the V&H Intake, I found a loose screw. One of the screws that hold the backing plate to the Front Cylinder was only held in by a couple of threads. When I installed the V&H backing Plate, Went in all the way. Put a little Blue thread lock on it.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page