User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 12-24-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stuck Throttle Update

Finally got the bike back yesterday. It was in the shop for almost 2 months. Apparently the engine can ingest the bolts that hold the air cleaner backing plate. After jamming the throttle plate open at full throttle the bolt found its way into the rear cylinder and shattered the piston. Since Harley does not offer crate engines under warranty the dealer had to disassemble the whole engine to get all the shrapnel out. It seems that the hold up on this repair is that parts from Harley are not readily available. It took them 6 weeks to get all the required parts for the rebuild. Total cost of parts and labor would have been $2000. Lucky it was still under warranty. I now own a 1300 mile bike with a rebuilt engine. This is my first Harley and I'm really not impressed. It broke down twice in the summer when I picked it up from the dealer and now this. This is fast becoming a very expensive piece of exercise equipment. Ride it to town and push it home. I've been riding for 45 years and bought this bike because my bad knees no longer allow the riding position on a sport bike and it doesn't help that the gas tank has become a belly rest on my GSXR. In all those years of riding I have never been left at the side of the road except for the occasional flat tire and a broken throttle cable. This pushing a bike around is a whole new experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-24-2016, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
That seems to be a Common Problem with Harley. Not having Parts Available. Mine was in the shop twice this year. For a Leaking Rear Valve Cover. Sitting there waiting for parts. Streets need Valve Adjustments at 15k.And the dealers can't get the parts promptly.

Good thing We Posted Warnings about the Air Cleaner Backing Plate Screws.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page